Wood Scavenging

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brhorgan

Jul 20, 2015
Southwest Virginia
Gentlemen(lady),

We just finished up three days of sustained wind over 25knts with gusts in the 40s here in Southwest Virginia. After I get off work I plan to cruise around and see if I can't scavenge some wood. Do y'all have any suggestions?

My main concerns are;
-making sure the wood is disease/bug free so I don't bring that crap home
-how to interact with those who have downed trees

Any suggestions on how to approach this would be much appreciated.

I do the same after storms. Ice storms produce the best results. I just simply knock on the door and ask the owner if he minds me removing his downed tree or branches. Ive only been told no 1 time and thats because he wanted it for his pile. Most people are happy to have it removed for free. One lady brought me coffee last winter while i was cutting up her branches. As far as bugs, dont worry about it. Keep the wood stacked outside.

What do you do with all the twigs and shenanigans? What are the terms of the arrangement with the homeowner?

I'd knock on the door and explain you burn wood at home for heat and you'd like to cut up the down wood and take it. Some people might hesitate to give wood to someone who is going to sell it, so that is why I'd mention burning it for heat. I'd also address the branches. I normally pick up the branches and stack them or toss them in the woods, but that is up to you to decide how much work you are willing to do. The best wood will be large branches or whole trees that fell in or near a woodsy area. That way the branches can be left on the ground with all the other branches that fall all the time. I'd be a little leery of yards that are really manicured because the owner seems more likely to be picky about how you work. On the other hand, a home with professional lawnmowing and landscaping people taking care of things might not care if you remove the brush because the pros will take care of it.

Disease and insects really aren't a concern unless you find termites, which is unlikely. Even then, if you can stack far from your house, you'll be fine.

What do you do with all the twigs and shenanigans? What are the terms of the arrangement with the homeowner?
Our township owns a big chipper truck. They come through every few months and chip up whatever people stack along the street. They turn it into mulch.

Status
Not open for further replies.