Wood score! (Tickled pink)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shari

Minister of Fire
Oct 31, 2008
Wisconsin
We are having a cord of maple, unsplit, dropped on our driveway today for $25! :) We had the cylinder for our hydraulic log splitter repaired last fall. Sounds like it's time to put it through it to the test!

edit: Pictures in post #9

Shari

Take some pics once delivered, us wood junkies here would love to see it.
WB

Now that was a good buy! Congratulations.

If the splitter doesn't work, you can probably split most of that with just an axe.

Pictures will be forthcoming. Me & an axe or maul? :bug: Not unless I want to become a double amputee! :) I've know since I was a kid that even playing baseball nobody wanted me on their team due to my lack of eye-hand control. :) We have the electric splitter for back-up if we need it so we will be fine.

Shari

At those prices I'd be stocking up big time...damn you can't even fill up your car for 25.

vwboomer - I pm'd you info.

The light is fading, delivery is not here yet. I re-stacked two rows of our wood pile and put down some 2x4's on our graveled area to put the wood one as we don't have any pallets to stack on. I clipped a bottom corner of those two stacks this winter when plowing the drive. With our recent warm weather those rows decided to give in to gravity. Sounds like this will be BIG rounds - might have to call in the brother's-in-law to help split. Again, will post pics when I can.

Shari

Okay, here's some pics. I ended up buying two loads from him @ $25 per load - so the pics show $50 of green maple. I am thrilled! That large round next to the white container in the last photo is about 3' across.... time to get the big boys in here to help split. :)

Shari

Attachments

• maple_1.jpg
    maple_1.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 693
  • maple_2.jpg
    maple_2.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 700
  • maple_3.jpg
    maple_3.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 692
birdladiusa said:
HOLY SMOKES.....$25.00 were do you live, can i come to your house.....lol

;-P Heh heh - that was the delivered price too!

edit: PS Any big guys out there want to help me lift my new-to-me old wood stove up on our hearth???

Shari

I'll give you a hand for a few rounds of that Maple and maybe a beverage or two. :cheese:

Shari, how awesome !!!

And you have a stove, too !!! Good for you, girl friend !!!

Shari said:
edit: PS Any big guys out there want to help me lift my new-to-me old wood stove up on our hearth???

Shari

Well, that depends. Wisconsin is a rather large state so if you are in the neighborhood, I'd be happy too. If you are in Hayward, you are on your own! :)

Wendell - We are just outside of Milwaukee, about 90 miles directly east of you. Actually I've been trying to figure out how to get this stove on to the heart and I think I have that figured out (2 hydraulic jacks with stove placed on an office chair mat, I hear the mat makes the stove slide just like it's on ice).

We would be splitting tonight but it has decided to rain. Now, for some reason, we've been experiencing short electrical power outages in the neighborhood tonight so I lit up the fireplace just so we have 'light' in the house.

Tip for the day: My kindling pile is meager so I stuffed empty toilet paper rolls with used dryer sheets - this is a great(!) fire starter!

Shari

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle said:
Shari, how awesome !!!

Hmmm.. good point, I hadn't considered there might be people who just collected firewood that didn't have a stove.

jpl1nh said:
Shari, how awesome !!!

Hmmm.. good point, I hadn't considered there might be people who just collected firewood that didn't have a stove.

I knew what Dixie meant - she probably has read about my search for a stove and all my other dumb questions. ;-)

Shari

Shari said:
jpl1nh said:
Shari, how awesome !!!

I knew what Dixie meant - she probably has read about my search for a stove and all my other dumb questions. ;-)

Shari

The only dumb questions are the ones that aren't asked ;-)

You're going to be toasty !! I vetted out my paint mare in January 5 years ago in WI, it was C-O-L-D !!!!

Nice score. Is that a duck boat i see in the background??

Chief Ryan said:
Nice score. Is that a duck boat i see in the background??

Actually, it is a 14' Lund-type fishing boat (deep draft). You can't see the depth of it because of the pile of wood. It is hubby's pride and joy but unfortunately he can't use it right now due to medical reasons. This summer I will be applying lettering to it, naming it "Retirement Plan #1". :)

Shari

Hey Shari, I run my own sign shop part-time out of my house so PM me if you would like me to cut your boat name for you.
I'll give you a good deal and I use the best materials.

Rob

Shari, you made a great deal! By the pictures it looks like all soft maple. What you will recall about soft maple is that it dries fairly fast so it should be ready to burn by fall. It splits easy, so (I know, you aren't too handy there) you can do it with an axe.

When you burn this wood, you will find it burns hot and a little faster than other hardwoods such as oak, ash, etc. This also gives you another benefit. Because it splits easy, it is also great for making kindling. Because it burns hot and fast, that is why it is good for kindling.

I'd suggest you get a couple more loads!

Congratulations.

Status
Not open for further replies.