Wood Score

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

teutonicking

Feeling the Heat
Aug 18, 2011
Maryland
Wood score.JPG Got a few pick-up loads here from some local tree guys (the pile in the middle). The lighter one is tulip poplar for sure. But not sure about the other darker wood. The leaves look like hickory but not the wood itself. Any thoughts? I may need to post some close-up pics.

looks like some pignut and also maybe some red maple in that pile.....nice pile of wood there!

Good score.
Shoulder season wood & mid winter wood ,
S&S it, & separate the hickory, good 2014/15 wood.

That is a good catch. What did you use for bait? Those rounds will be nice food for your Huskee.

That is a good catch. What did you use for bait? Those rounds will be nice food for your Huskee.

Thanks guys. I have confirmed that it is hickory (and Tulip Poplar). No bait--just being alert on my drive home. Some tree guys were finishing up a job about two miles from where I live and I just asked what they were doing with the wood. They ended up following me back to my home with their pick up and dumped it for me. Over the next several days they brought about 5-6 loads (more since I took that picture). I figure there is roughly about 3 cords there, mostly hickory. He just asked for gas money, so I gave him a twenty and some cokes for his guys.

He offered to bring me a whole (white!) oak tree this week, but I just don't have any place to put in on my suburban lot. I already have 56 wood racks that are already full (or will be after I split what I have now). The DC suburbs are a great place to get wood scores--there are very few wood stove burners in my area, so little or no competition. Most of the tree jobs just get brought to the county dump. What a waste of good BTUs!

56 RACKS??? Holy cats! :eek:

Yeah, its a lot of racks. I have about 12 on one side of the house, 14 on the other, and about 30 in the back. Some closest to the house are metal, but most are 2x4 racks and/or homemade. They hold about 1/3 of a cord each, and I burn about six cords/year, so I have finally achieved my three year supply. :)

He offered to bring me a whole (white!) oak tree this week, but I just don't have any place to put in on my suburban lot. I already have 56 wood racks that are already full (or will be after I split what I have now).
Man, I would get that White Oak and sell some lesser wood if need be to make room for it. That stuff is PRIMO! ::-)

Man, I would get that White Oak and sell some lesser wood if need be to make room for it. That stuff is PRIMO! ::-)

I know what you mean--its breaks my heart to turn down primo wood--I wish it had been available a few months ago. I just don't have the energy in this 91 degree swamp-heat in DC to rearrange so many of my stacks to make room for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.