Wood Score...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
So, I have two stoves in my house. One in the finished basement that I used last year, until I read this site. I learned that the stove was just slid into the fireplace, no connection, no nothing, just dumping into the chimney. NOT using that one anymore.

I put one in the fireplace upstairs, with a liner. Much better feeling.

Anyway, my girlfriend soon to be wife moved in about 6 months ago. I had some wood laying around from last year and was a little worried about this winter.

At a family gathering, I meet her uncle. We start talking and he asks me about the house, and how I heat it. I told him that I heat with wood. He says, "how much wood do you have.?" I told him I had about a cord..and that's about it.

He told me, "Well, that's not enough. I have own 70 acers about 15 mins from your house. I have about 30 down trees. Fir, alder, maple...ya want em?"

I jumped for joy, and am on my second trailer load. Time to go back tomorrow.

It beats buying the wood, but dang...it's some work!

And no, I don't have a splitter :) It all happens by hand!

Your gonna be having some problems getting that wood to burn well this winter. but it will be great for next. nice score

D/F said:
So, I have two stoves in my house. One in the finished basement that I used last year, until I read this site. I learned that the stove was just slid into the fireplace, no connection, no nothing, just dumping into the chimney. NOT using that one anymore.

Anyway, my girlfriend soon to be wife moved in about 6 months ago. I had some wood laying around from last year and was a little worried about this winter.

At a family gathering, I meet her uncle. We start talking and he asks me about the house, and how I heat it. I told him that I heat with wood. He says, "how much wood do you have.?" I told him I had about a cord..and that's about it.

He told me, "Well, that's not enough. I have own 70 acers about 15 mins from your house. I have about 30 down trees. Fir, alder, maple...ya want em?"

We were kind of the opposite... we decided to go to wood because of the fact that we have 200 acres at our disposal. Over last winter my father in law suggested that we use our rebate check from uncle sam to buy a woodstove to suppliment our heat and we could cut pretty much all the sugar maple our little hearts desired. Well, here we are 9 months later after spending $6600 on a newmac wood/oil forced air furnace, SS liner, new husqvarna 142 saw (14 and 16 bars, 4 chains), chaps, trailer, wedgesand axe to cut and haul 10 cords (so far)of maple, cherry, yellow and white birch, hickory and boxelder.

Watch out, it becomes a full blown addiction in no time.

We origionally planned to buy a small stove and burn 1-2 cords a year...

Hey so close to home that's great...if you can swing it get a splitter. Although maple splits easy...I don't know about the fir trees. Never heard of alder is that another name for aspen? We call that poplar back here and that also hand splits easy too. Safe harvesting to ya.

Not sure, up here everyone has always called it "alder"

I have about a cord of dry stuff, and about 2 cords of the new stuff stacked.

the nice part is, all the stuff I have taken so far was standing dead, taken down, and sat on the ground for two years. Some of the tree's wern't worth it because of rot. But I found some suprisingly dry, good wood in most of them.

It seems to split pretty easy. Most of the wood is from "douglas fir" trees.

I tossed a couple splits on the fire the other day, didn't get any hissing, which suprised me. I'm still going to stack it and let it dry until I need it.

Well then it probably is alder...my experience with tree ID is limited to what grows around here mostly. At any rate it still a good take for you to cut 'em for the firewood...mostly all wood burns decently if it's properly seasoned. And it's free.

For most of the west-coast woods, a splitter is unnecessary. One whack with a 6 lb maul gets 90% of my wood split, although trying to split the wood that comes from the base of the tree isn't quite that easy! There are few things as satisfying as splitting a big round of maple into 6 or 8 parts in 6 or 8 swings.

CowboyAndy said:
D/F said:

We were kind of the opposite... we decided to go to wood because of the fact that we have 200 acres at our disposal. Over last winter my father in law suggested that we use our rebate check from uncle sam to buy a woodstove to suppliment our heat and we could cut pretty much all the sugar maple our little hearts desired. Well, here we are 9 months later after spending $6600 on a newmac wood/oil forced air furnace, SS liner, new husqvarna 142 saw (14 and 16 bars, 4 chains), chaps, trailer, wedgesand axe to cut and haul 10 cords (so far)of maple, cherry, yellow and white birch, hickory and boxelder.

Watch out, it becomes a full blown addiction in no time.

We oriionally planned to buy a small stove and burn 1-2 cords a year...
Yes you are right,but did they give you the frist one for free?(thats how i got suck in)lol

Status
Not open for further replies.