Wood Scrounge ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hamslam42

Oct 13, 2015
Columbus, OH
I have always been envious when reading about the successful wood scrounges others have had on these forums. I finally got my chance the other day when the city took down two trees in the right of way on a nearby church's property.

I was able to get in touch with the church people and got permission to take whatever I could, but unfortunately I couldn't get there quick enough. It was on a busy road so others had the same idea. By the time I got to it there were only a handful of decent rounds left and some uglies. I still took what I could get...whatever I don't burn in my stove I'll use in the firepit.

I know these aren't great pictures, and I don't have any leaves, but anybody have an idea what kind of wood this is?

IMG_1652.JPG IMG_1653.JPG

Looks like a maple species to me.

I'm leaning toward Silver Maple but tough to tell without a split.

It does look like silver maple bark. Hard to tell. I hope for you it's a harder type maple. Any leaves around?

Agree with the others.

Status
Not open for further replies.