Wood Scrounger - should I be worried about liability insurance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wldm09

Mar 16, 2009
Northwoods, WI
Today I ran an add on Craigslist offering to take anyone's free wood. I already have three takers. Should I be worried about going on to someone else's land and taking trees, even though I obviously have their permission?

I live in a small town so I don't think this is an issue, but I used to live in Chicago and there no one would even think about doing this because of the possibility of being sued if something happened.

Thoughts? Experiences?

Free wood and cutting trees are two different things. With cutting trees, lots of issues come up concerning damage to other trees and property, as well as you or someone else getting hurt. It's the someone else that gets my attention. On the other hand, if this is not a business, your homeowners or other umbrella liability insurance may cover you up to the limits. Read your policies carefully, or talk to your friendly insurance agent. My guess would be that special insurance to cover tree cutting would be expensive.

I second everything Jim said. Many questions about clean-up and equipment damage to lawn and other property need to be answered before removing the wood or trees.

Good luck in your efforts.

John_M

Personally, I would not rely on a waiver. So the fellow says you're not liable, and through your carelessness the tree falls on his house, or a power line, and his 3-yr old daughter is killed, and you're not liable? That's not a place I want to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.