Wood scrounging / hunting tips and advice wanted please

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just looked on Craigslist for the DC/VA/MD area. Pretty clear that a couple of folks wanting firewood are following this thread. Guess we're giving useful advice (or what is hoped is useful advice).

Another option to consider if you are near a National Forest is to get a firewood permit from the U.S. Forest Service. Permits are cheap- think last one I got a couple of years ago was $20 and entitled you to 2 or 3 cords. Permits are usually good for 6 months. Only stipulation (and this is important) wood must be dead and down. Usually at end of the winter you can find trees which have blown down or uprooted and are still sound.

Get the word out you are looking for firewood and there are plenty of great ideas here.

My sources of free firewood to date:

Craigslist
Radio program of people selling unwanted items/giving away stuff for nothing.
City parks department (usually for residents)
Corp of engineers (free permit due to a flood)
Permission to cut on privately owned forested land (keep them happy host an annual party)
Unwanted trees/limbs from friends/neighbors usually after a storm
Construction sites

If I lived in a more populated area and had lots of storage space I would first try to hook up with an arborist(s) and become a dump site with the catch of willing to accept any tree species because the wood comes to you. Note: you will likely have to buy a mechanical splitter.

Potential sources that offer permits for a low fee: National forest , State forest, Corps of Engineers

You could also try the town dump.

I started out scrounging where ever I could and no wood was too junky to turn down. I really beat my brains out trying to split some of that really gnarly stuff. I'd cruise the local tree dump at least once a day and took down a couple dead standing trees for some people I knew. The biggest break was talking to a friend of mine who runs cattle and has a lot of pasture land, much of it wooded. He had a bunch of downed oak all over the place and said I could have at it. I cleaned out most of it but there are another 8 or so big dead ones that will be coming down over the years so I'll be able to restock.

Even just scrounging the tree dump around here there's more than enough for me. I'm much more picky now. I only take the nice big straight rounds out of the main trunk or main branches. Anything that's all knotty or twisted grain I don't even bother with, life is too short to split all that by hand. I also don't take down trees for people anymore. It's a lot of work by the time you get done cutting up and hauling away all the little branches. I much rather my wood be horizontal when I get to it.

Start looking around and pretty soon you'll be finding some big scores.

As of now I'm at least 3 years ahead and didn't cut or split anything this past year.

Alan

Jutt77 said:
DonNC said:

So then I found a comprehensive list provided by local government of all licensed tree services here in this area and the list included email addresses. So I blast emailed (blind copied) 47 different tree services offering them a free place to dump their wood. I got 5 good hits from this and in the past 2 weeks i've gotten around 2-3 cords of free hardwood delivered to my house...sure beats scrounging. I did set a few ground rules namely, nothing under 5-6 inch diameter and no trash etc. Most of these guys chip small stuff so no worries. Since you live around a lot of good hardwoods you may want to limit your offer to just good stuff (no pine, no cottonwood, etc.).

Send emails to all those guys in that list offering to trade.

Good luck!
J

I've been thinking about this for a few days - how you e-mailed local tree services to drop wood off at your house instead of dumping it. Would you be willing to share the verbage of your e-mail? I think I could try this and I'm curious how you worded your request.

Thanks for posting on this everyone. Monday morn I am going to start contacting the tree services. Then Ill follow up with locating new subdivisions or land being cleared for farms. Last night I noticed a house with a massive amount of branches down at the road...something I wouldnt have paid any mind in the past. Gonna be real busy

Alan Gage said:
I'm much more picky now. I only take the nice big straight rounds out of the main trunk or main branches. Anything that's all knotty or twisted grain I don't even bother with, life is too short to split all that by hand.

I'm with you on that. I've been given access to a 550 acre ranch (small by Texas standards but, still.....) and there is more recently downed oak than I could use in a lifetime. So, I too, just take the good straight stuff and leave the gnarly, the knotty, the crooked, and the Ys behind.

The ranch is about ten miles from my house. I go out and cut, buck to 20 inches, fill up my pickup truck bed, come home, split it over a day or two, stack it. Ready to go back. I've got between now and mid March to gather my wood before I go back to work. By then, it will be too warm here in Texas to be working on wood. I should be able to get several cords processed by then. I only burn at most 1.5 cords a year so this is my chance to get way ahead. I have about two cords stacked now.

Highs in the 70s today, overnight low in the 60s. BUT tomorrow's overnight low is 20 and very low 20s is the forecast for the next several days with highs only mid 30s. So, yes... it does get pretty cold in South central Texas.

Cate said:
Jutt77 said:
DonNC said:

So then I found a comprehensive list provided by local government of all licensed tree services here in this area and the list included email addresses. So I blast emailed (blind copied) 47 different tree services offering them a free place to dump their wood. I got 5 good hits from this and in the past 2 weeks i've gotten around 2-3 cords of free hardwood delivered to my house...sure beats scrounging. I did set a few ground rules namely, nothing under 5-6 inch diameter and no trash etc. Most of these guys chip small stuff so no worries. Since you live around a lot of good hardwoods you may want to limit your offer to just good stuff (no pine, no cottonwood, etc.).

Good luck!
J

I've been thinking about this for a few days - how you e-mailed local tree services to drop wood off at your house instead of dumping it. Would you be willing to share the verbage of your e-mail? I think I could try this and I'm curious how you worded your request.

Sure. One other thing to add. I usually keep some beer around and offer the guys a case or like a $20 tip if no beer. Seems obvious enough I guess.

Email verbiage:

I live in Lakewood and use a wood stove for primary heat and I need wood (I burn around 4-5 cords per season). Do you want to avoid dump fees and the hassle of going to a dump? You can dump your wood for free at my house in my driveway any day of the week at any time. Do you want to reduce landfill waste and operate in a "green" manner? No worries, I use an EPA phase II certified stove that burns clean plus I don't have to depend on Xcel for natural gas. There are no strings attached, this is no scam, I don't sell firewood...you simply avoid paying dump fees and I avoid having to buy wood...win/win! I'm also conveniently located near 6th Ave and Sheridan in Lakewood.

I'll take any species of wood you have of almost any size (4-5" diameter or larger please...no small branches).

Please contact me for my address or call xxx.xxx.xxxx

Ask at churches also. Several around me have my card on file. I'll cut what I can safely. Review bits on dangerous stuff for the trustees since they're really 'not tree guys'.

1) When you are just starting to build a wood supply, you must be ready to drop everything to get wood, otherwise you may be too late.

2) Don't pick and choose, get what you can until you are ahead a year or two . . . but inspect the site first for trees that threaten a house, etc. When in doubt, say no.

3) Put the word out to all your friends, neighbors, and colleagues, but make sure you don't turn anything down.

4) Always be nice when asking for wood. Respect other people's property, etc.

5) Try lumber mills, tree services, hardware stores, warehouses (for pallets), guys framing a house in the neighborhood (scrap ends)

6) Take a ride around town after storms. Lots of people will let you take wood if you just ask.

7) Do NOT take pressure treated wood, plywood, or wood that has paints, stains, etc. Not only is does that add to air pollution, but sometimes the odor gets into you house. Awful.

Good luck.

Jutt77 said:
Cate said:
Jutt77 said:
DonNC said:

Good luck!
J

Sure. One other thing to add. I usually keep some beer around and offer the guys a case or like a $20 tip if no beer. Seems obvious enough I guess.

Email verbiage:

I live in Lakewood and use a wood stove for primary heat and I need wood (I burn around 4-5 cords per season). Do you want to avoid dump fees and the hassle of going to a dump? You can dump your wood for free at my house in my driveway any day of the week at any time. Do you want to reduce landfill waste and operate in a "green" manner? No worries, I use an EPA phase II certified stove that burns clean plus I don't have to depend on Xcel for natural gas. There are no strings attached, this is no scam, I don't sell firewood...you simply avoid paying dump fees and I avoid having to buy wood...win/win! I'm also conveniently located near 6th Ave and Sheridan in Lakewood.

I'll take any species of wood you have of almost any size (4-5" diameter or larger please...no small branches).

Please contact me for my address or call xxx.xxx.xxxx

Thanks for sharing, Jutt! This will be helpful for a lot of folks looking to get their scrounging career off the ground!

Don't forget landscapers....since the spring is right around the corner, many landscapers will preform spring clean-ups. Around here in NJ they have to pay to dump. I myself am a landscaper and utilize the wood for myself. I know as a fact that if these landscaper's had a contact to dump wood....IE down trees and or branches, they would be happy to help you. It saves them money, and you benefit from the wood disposal. I have also kept an eye out for utility company's whom hire tree services. These folks when applicable will cut and leave wood on the side of the road. Pick up as much as you can. If you dont have a truck you can rent. We have pickups here that can be rented for $20 a day plus mileage. It is worth the rental when you find a good source of wood. Also, keep an eye out for someone who has some dead standing trees. If you are willing to drop them and buck (cut) them, the owner might be willing to let you do so. I am insured via my business, but if you are not, draft a letter stating that you will take full responsibility for cutting and loading wood on the property you will remove wood. This is when the truck rental comes into play. It takes some creative thinking, but is worth it in the long run. Lastly, ask around the board for someone who also is a member in your area. They might have property and wood, but can use a extra hand. In return you can ask if you can have some of the wood come the burning season. Barter...Barter....Barter.....you will come up with some way to make things work.

ill second the churches. i have a honey hole right now. place doesnt have much money, so they cant pay...and i need wood. deal.
oh it helps that they are large mature white, pin oaks. cherry and locust....mostly white oak.

i have to drive to the city to get it. logistics of hauling it back are a pain, but you ought to see them city folk gather to watch a tree drop. (cant say I balme them really) much like people out in the sticks walk out the front door to see why a siren went by.

Status
Not open for further replies.