Wood scrounging story

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 3, 2009
MN
A friend works for a local tree company, he calls periodically with an address where he has left me a nice stack of wood. Sometimes he just loads my truck up while I'm at work, those are my lucky days! So last night I show up at the address and start loading some nice oak. A guy comes out of the nearby house and isn't very happy I'm taking the wood. I told him I had permission to do this. He obviously wanted the wood, so I just left and left 1/2 the pile. I go down the road to the next pile and start loading. Same thing, a guy comes running out of the house screaming at me. My wood source pulls up in his trimming truck at this moment, and informs the screamer he is contracted to remove the wood. The guy argues till he's red in the face that the wood is his (it was stacked next to the road near him, but didn't come off his property). Then he tells me to unload my truck. I tell him to pound sand and leave. Ahhhh, the joys of urban wood scrounging...

LOL If there as lazy there as they are here "the only thing there good at is yelling"....If you didn't get it chances are it would have been there rotting before he would have moved it. I work about 2 miles from home I can show you at least 4 cords of wood lying on the ground for more than a year free for anyone that needs it...It will be there till it rotts, or I run out.

I blame your tree company friend. He should know if the wood is to be left on site for home owner, or removed from the property.

I operate a tree service and I often employ "trusted scroungers" to take free wood. But... I never get the scroungers involved in a wood dispute. I also require scroungers to get their wood while Im at the job site. Your friend has a communication problem. Homeowners do not want strangers showing up at their home , after hours, taking stuff.

If you do work something out with the tree company friend , he should let the home owner know your coming to get wood. When you do arrive to get wood you should introduce yourself to the home owner and let them know your here to gather wood. If the home owner says "help yourself" then all is good.

Short version of this story is " Introduce your self and state your intent before taking anything from a strangers property"

You never know the home owner might even help you load your truck. Saying hello makes you a person, not saying hello makes you a suspicious stranger.

I had a funny one this morning.Checked Kijiji and there's a picture of a large pile of spruce for
free.I call the guy and he says that it's still available.I tell him I can come and pick it up within
the hour.He says wait a minute,what are you driving?I said a Ford Super Duty.Ok,no problem.
I get there and the guy has a bit of a smirk going.I introduce myself and he says here,I'll give
you hand.He told me that he had 4 or 5 phone calls;2 wanted him to have it split for them,2 had
cars,and the best one.Some woman calls and says she'll take it as long as he delivers it to her
SPLIT.He figured that she must have read the wrong ad,and tells her that this stuff is for free.
She says I know that, why do you think I want it!He says no I don't think so.Then she tells the
guy that she is a single mother and it's the LEAST he can do for her!!!He tells her that he doesn't
even own a truck and she suggested he rent one to bring her the free wood;once he's split it!

okotoks guy said:
I had a funny one this morning.Checked Kijiji and there's a picture of a large pile of spruce for
free.I call the guy and he says that it's still available.I tell him I can come and pick it up within
the hour.He says wait a minute,what are you driving?I said a Ford Super Duty.Ok,no problem.
I get there and the guy has a bit of a smirk going.I introduce myself and he says here,I'll give
you hand.He told me that he had 4 or 5 phone calls;2 wanted him to have it split for them,2 had
cars,and the best one.Some woman calls and says she'll take it as long as he delivers it to her
SPLIT.He figured that she must have read the wrong ad,and tells her that this stuff is for free.
She says I know that, why do you think I want it!He says no I don't think so.Then she tells the
guy that she is a single mother and it's the LEAST he can do for her!!!He tells her that he doesn't
even own a truck and she suggested he rent one to bring her the free wood;once he's split it!

If thats actually a true story then its the funniest thing I`ve read all week.

okotoks guy said:

This is hilarious . . . sometimes I think we as a human race are truly doomed.

glenng said:
I operate a tree service and I often employ "trusted scroungers" to take free wood. But... I never get the scroungers involved in a wood dispute. I also require scroungers to get their wood while Im at the job site. Your friend has a communication problem. Homeowners do not want strangers showing up at their home , after hours, taking stuff.

I have a similar relationship with a tree guy. I have never had a problem with the property owner, but as soon as the wood hits the curb things get ugly with the locals.

okotoks guy said:

lol Thats the way it is around here....your do the work and they will help you out.

If it were me, I'd ask your tree service guy for a copy of the page of the contract that stipulates the removal with an addtional hand written note from him authorizing you to remove.

If he isn't around when the locals get argumentative and the cops come, you will have legal proof of right to the wood.

I remove downed trees for a large 100 acre estate and I have had neighbors call the cops on me and I was able to produce written permission which quickly defused the situation and allowed me to get back to work right away.

Status
Not open for further replies.