Wood Seasoning and boring bugs

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
locust_borer_neal.jpg

Thanks for the replies. Appears I'm not alone with these little chompers. The adult red headed borers pictured above where all over the wood several weeks ago. Guess they were having a free for all making babies! The saw dust piles are quite a lot taller now than when I took the pictures last week. It's been so extremely dry and windy around here that all the wood is seasoning quite well. If they can't live in dry wood, they should be gone before fall. The cracks in my yard are so wide you don't dare drop a piece of firewood on the ground cause you may never see it again ....... we need rain! Seriously, we must be near a drought considering the time of year.

Reactions: tfdchief
I have locust borers similar to tdfchief's pic but brighter colored, and some round glossy beetle maturing in my oak stacks that looks just like a black widow when it runs across your hand lol..

I know that I get the same type of dust in oak and maple here in Va. I've never seen the bugs themselves but the dust and holes look similar. The bugs do seem to leave when the wood gets dry, but the pieces that have been chewed up pretty good I leave outside just to be safe. It all winds up in the stove though for sure. If I threw every piece that had any bugs on it into the fire pit I'd have very little left.

Status
Not open for further replies.