Wood seasoning/storage question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffee

Nov 1, 2007
Western Ma
Hi. I'm thinking of putting in a commercially available wood shed so I don't have to use tarps. I live in a sometimes breezy/ windy area. The shed is 6 x 10, and between 6 1/2 and 8 1/2 feet tall (8 1/2 only at roof peak). If I stuffed it I figure I could get 2 1/2 or 3 cords in there, which is what I need. In the middle of one of the 10 foot sides is a 6 x 6 opening, and there are a couple of small gable vents. Question is, will I be able to season wood in there? So if I acquire somewhat green wood (splits) in say March and put it in there, do you think it would be burnable and somewhat dry come burning season? Standard mix of hard woods.

Thank you for any advice!

No, I don't think it would season well in the shed. Not enough air can get through the big tight mass of wood you would have in there. Instead, stack it in long, loose narrow rows, outside in as much sun and wind as you can, top covered only (or not), then move it into the shed mid fall when its dry. Dry seasoned hardwood would last for decades in your shed except it burns so well that it won't. ;-)

Thanks for your reply. Yeah I was kind of hoping to save myself that work of moving the stack (in future years). The shed would be a good 60 feet away from where I would stack it to season it. I may have to spring for a wood hauling cart too. More money to spend that I don't have.

I've been drying tight stacked wood in a shed with basiclly one side open for years and it works well. The air and wind gets thru.

Your problem is not air circulation but time. The March - October stretch is just not enough.

Mine is in the shed from 12 - 16 months.

How about if I had a 6 x 6 opening on both of the long sides of the shed? Do you folks think that would help? Then I could tarp over the windy side when there's a blowing snow/rain storm expected, and maybe the wood would have better air during the summer months for seasoning.

jeffee said:
How about if I had a 6 x 6 opening on both of the long sides of the shed? Do you folks think that would help? Then I could tarp over the windy side when there's a blowing snow/rain storm expected, and maybe the wood would have better air during the summer months for seasoning.
Now your thinking!

You may not be able to get away from moving your stacks around. I end up with two stacks and have to do a little rotation because I don't have a big yard. I have one stack (3-4 days worth) next to the back door of very seasoned wood. 1 Stack of wood from last season out behind the garage and a stack of new stuff to season. The stack of seasoned wood close to the house is a MUST for those cold/wet nights when you want to keep the fire going but just don't want to put your boots on.

Status
Not open for further replies.