Wood selling partnership

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's say you cut and sell 10 cords of wood and your take is $1000. That would not be worth it to me personally and I do enjoy the work as you do. That's a lot of work for the money. Just my 2 cents.

I appreciate all the words of counsel. I have no intention or desire to make a business of this. I enjoy cutting wood. I have a great splitter now which will make that chore less onerous and more enjoyable. I'm gone from home well over 100 days a year so when I AM at home I like to be outside and working on firewood is both a hobby and therapy.

I'm not going to get aggressive in felling trees and producing firewood. My only thought behind all of this is that I know I'm going to end up with more firewood than I can use -After I get my own reserve of four or five years worth. Rather than letting good oak and hickory rot out in the woods, or cut a lot more than I'll ever use so that it rots in the stacks, I just thought I could bring in a little spending money but letting my buddy peddle my excess.

Is it worth my time? Probably not but I'll earn zero if the wood just sits and rots. With this plan, I'll bring in a few bucks to support my habit... er, hobby.

Kenster- Sounds like you have thought this thru pretty well to me. If you just treat it as
a hobby and not a business, the money is not an issue. Just be careful out there and
enjoy your hobby...the extra money is just gravy.

There are a lot of trees around me that are dead and I am hopeful that I can process them before the wood goes bad... Its such a shame that so many of the big trees are going
down due to weather and insects. A tornado took out 8 of my trees in minutes last year...very long minutes thou... :grrr:

Good luck

Kenster - good luck with your plan! If you're happy with it, then nothing else matters really. We all need hobbies, and I can think of many that are worse than cutting firewood. Good luck!

I work way too hard to get ahead and value my time to even sell any of my wood . . . and like others see this deal as heavily favoring your buddy.

That said, only you know what is good for you . . . and sometimes helping out a buddy by doing a good deed is reward in itself . . . both in the short term and long term.

You guys are thinking too hard about this. Kenster, like must of us here really likes to process firewwod, and he has a ton more wood available than he could ever burn, a bunch of time on his hands, and some good firewood tools. His buddy sells wood. Kenster cuts because he likes to and gets a few bucks for it. What's the problem? I wish I was in the same position. I work too much and don't get to spend enough time doing what makes me happy. Enjoy!

That pretty well sums it up, Steve.

So how did it go? Are you still selling firewood in the same partnership?

Status
Not open for further replies.