Wood shed capacities

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just don't send the kid out to fetch wood in the winter.

Could be hazardous pulling from a 10 ft pile.

I yank and tumble the 7 foot stacks to the ground as necessary before in case my wife has to bring in wood.

gerry100 said:
Just don't send the kid out to fetch wood in the winter.

Could be hazardous pulling from a 10 ft pile.

I yank and tumble the 7 foot stacks to the ground as necessary before in case my wife has to bring in wood.

No worries, the 10 ft stacks are compressed in against the ceiling. I pull off a weeks worth or so at a time into the bucket of the tractor and dump it in the attached garage. Keeps everyone warm, happy and safe.

If space, especially under a roof, wasn't at such a premium, I wouldn't go over 6. Roofing materials got expensive in the last couple years.

This thread from a while back has some pics of the shed I built. It is 8' deep, 20' wide and 8' tall in front, 7' in back. Maybe it gives a different perspective. I placed it in the sunniest and wind accessible spot in my yard about 200 feet back. I sit in my living room and look out and see the morning sun shine on it. It is a pleasant sight to be sure.

https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/39246/

Jeff

Tim,
Your shed looks nice.
I'm in the same boat as you, with the 100 ft2 rule for a permit.
Plus, I might be able to fit that size next to the garage.
You get 4 rows of 16" pieces in there? That would probably be more like 4.6 cords, but that would still be good for me and the extra length on the depth would give you some room for error.

I came up with the best solution for my wood shed by designing it into a new fence between me and my neighbor's property.
Last year we stored much of our wood along that same fence line, but for a number of reasons I didn't want to do that way again. One reason being that the fence was old and dilapidated and the neighbor had a bunch of unruly lilac bushes growing along the fence line who's roots were starting grow under my driveway.
Anyway, I'm happy with the final product, the door I bring the wood into the house is directly across the driveway from the center of this shed, so it is in about as convenient as I can get it. Each section holds a minimum of one cord. Two rows of 16" cuts piled 8ft wide by 6ft high (a little higher at one end). I burned 3 1/2 cord last winter, but started a little late in the year, so when I finish filling it up 5+ cord should be more then enough for me for the winter. (the center bay is dedicated to a tool shed and housing the garbage cans)

drivewayview.JPG

frontview.JPG

BTW, the splits of wood on top of the roof are some walnut wood I'm trying to dry out faster

Carbon,

Great looking storage. I have to ask, where do you put snow? Looks like a driveway that you would have to plow rather than use a snowthrower (unless it could throw right over the top of the shed!)

We don't get too much snow here in Chicago, but it's a consideration when I am moving snow. I don't want to blow it right into my shed.

chachdave said:
Mine is 4x20, 6ft high in front 8ft in rear. Got about 4 1/2 cords in there. This is actually a temporary shed until I can bring in some fill for back and side yard. Then I will build a free standing 8x16 or so shed.
I like this shed as it looks very cost effective. Did you use translucent corrogated pvc for the roofing to let sunlight hit the wood to help dry it?

Question for those with wood sheds. Can you season the wood in these sheds? I want to build a shed that can store two years (8 cord) of wood. I buy wood in the spring to age it 18 months. I don't want to stack the wood twice so I'm thinking a shed can do it if it's open on all sides.

I've recently redesigned my shed so that I can fill it half full with green wood to season in place. I leave wide enough spaces between the rows so that can go back and infill the spaces with wood I season outside.

If I were to build a new shed, I would make it twice as long (40') and half as deep (5') to lay in only three rows deep. I like carbon_liberator's above. I find three rows deep seasons OK.

jdinspector said:
Carbon,

Great looking storage. I have to ask, where do you put snow? Looks like a driveway that you would have to plow rather than use a snowthrower (unless it could throw right over the top of the shed!)

We don't get too much snow here in Chicago, but it's a consideration when I am moving snow. I don't want to blow it right into my shed.

Thanks jd
I know it doesn't look like it from the pictures, but there are a few places along the driveway where we can pile the snow around the driveway, one is the splitting area which is where you see some wood stacked in the left foreground of the first photo, another place is just about where I'm standing when I took the second photo, and near the very front end of the driveway (on both sides actually). So we have no shortage of places to pile the snow when, and if, we get any significant quantities, however we traditionally don't get much accumulations in this area. In fact we don't usually get enough to warrant the purchase of a snow blower, we just use snow shovels.
Actually I just took a brief look at the snow fall statistics that can found on the internet and it looks like you get a lot more snow in Chicago then we get here in the Similkameen/Okanagan area of BC. Most of our snow accumulation is up in the mountains and ski hills, down in the valleys we some years only get a few inches.

And the Okanagan valley is a very beautiful place! Got to spend some time there in the late 90's and almost made me become a Canadian.

I know this is about woodsheds but the best most efficient storage I 've seen in my travels around upstateNY and PA is a single long row,one split wide,3-4 ft high, along the edge of a property. If you've got trees to act as brackets,, even better.

One could tell with a glance how much they have and how much they need. Ultimate ventilation, simple to stack and access. Can pull form any place at anytime if you wanted certain size or species for the conditions.

Throw a roll of black plastic over the top before the snow falls.

Start burning at alternate ends each year.

Can't do it on my property but would if I could.

Status
Not open for further replies.