Wood Shed design

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

El Finko

Aug 22, 2012
Mason Dixon Line
I'm planning on building a Lean To on the back side of my 2- car garage to shelter my firewood. I figure I'll use the 114" corrugated sheets of metal roofing from L0wes and build from there. Just wondering what kind of overhang I should plan on. I will install a gutter along the long end, but was wodering what kind of overhang you guys generally look for if all three sieds will be oen.

With a gutter, 3 - 4" should be fine.
Make sure the gutter is well attached. Metal roofs let the snow slide off & with big snows it can take the gutters with it.

Reactions: PapaDave
Not much overhang should be necessary for the wood shed.

I like 12" on mine.

I'm planning on building a Lean To on the back side of my 2- car garage to shelter my firewood. I figure I'll use the 114" corrugated sheets of metal roofing from L0wes and build from there. Just wondering what kind of overhang I should plan on. I will install a gutter along the long end, but was wodering what kind of overhang you guys generally look for if all three sieds will be oen.
Generally when I was hanging metal on a roof ,2" was a good clearance to the fascia . If you are asking what type of clearance to the gable end clearance , the 12" is pretty standard .

Hey Finko.

I just finished a lean-to woodshed off our small barn this past weekend. My overhang is about 3 inches. Waiting for the first big rain [tonight] to see how it performs.

For what it's worth, you might want to go to your local lumber yard and price out made-to-order metal roofing panels. I did that, and they ended up being cheaper than what I would have paid at Lowes for 8-footers - with no cutting and no need for overlapping the ends. I got to choose my color [brown] and got 3x9 foot panels for $24.88. The manufacturer was http://www.metalsales.us.com/

If your buying metal, lowes is about the higest $$ place you can buy it. Find a local hardware or building supply place. You can get the 5 rib stuff for bwtween $1.30-1.50 a linear foot depending upon gauge color and no color, this is the cheapie steel you can pay way more than this for house grade steel roof!

Status
Not open for further replies.