wood shed flooring

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a feeling I'm going to be going with pallets. I looked a pics of other people using them, and I noticed they put their pallets on bricks, to keep them off the ground (probably so the pallets don't start to rot either) and that was actually not a bad idea, and will get them to last longer. I checked craigslist, and I didn't see a single advertisement for plastic pallets anywhere, which is what I'd LOVE to use and just be done with it. PVC piping running through cinderblock could be another option. Just thought of that. Two pieces of PVC running through the holes of cinderblock spaced every foot or two.

Elevated PVC won't hold the weight. The only way PVC will work is if it is supported underneath.

That's why I was thinking I'd put a cinderblock every foot or so for support. I'm still not sure if it'd support the weight though. Is triple wall rigid HDPE pipe stronger than PVC I wonder? That's what I used to make my fresh air intakes in my basement to increase my efficiency on my wood furnace. Cheaper, that's for sure. I guess I can just do pallets off the ground, but I'd like something as permanent as possible. My goal is to cut 20 full cords this year and get a few years ahead, and with plans of getting a new high efficiency wood furnace in the fall, 20 full cords may put me many many years ahead. :D

My dad had his well pump replaced around about 1980. The old well pipe was 1-1/2" galvanized steel. He laid cement blocks on their sides and ran the 20' lengths of well pipe through the holes in the block so that they were about 12-14" apart. He's still using those same pipes and blocks now, 35 years later, so I'd consider that "permanent".

I use pallets over a base of about 6" of wood chips from the town's right-of-way trimming. If you use gravel, keep in mind that split wood, even clean splits, tends to shed chips and bark bits over time. You will eventually wind up with gravel covered in a layer of decomposing wood chips, which might as well be simply wood chips. I pull my pallets out every couple of years, clean all the leaves and wood debris out of them, shovel it all into the wood boiler, and lay the pallets back down (unless thy are rotting, then they go in the wood boiler too).

Reactions: j7art2
I'm thinking of using cedar landscaping ties through cinderblocks. Cedar already lasts a good long while as is, and off the ground, should last even longer. Ties at the end would just be fence ties I'm thinking. The problem is, there's a decent slope on my property where I'll be storing said wood, so I'll have to figure that one out too. Completely separate issue entirely.

I found the solution to sticking your foot through a pallet...................filled the gaps with.....................SNOW
;lol;lol;lol;lol;lol

Bob

I like the thin cedar fence boards laid down on the ground. They do not take up a lot of room under my deck.

100_1260.JPG

Plastic pallets are hard to find. I hate the rotten wood pallets and yes, I've gotten the nails into my feet since as you pull the rotten top off, the bottom boards stay in the ground with their rusty nails sticking up.

My current favorite is the foam pallets. Consistent in size and free.

Attachments

• asdfphoto 1.JPG
    asdfphoto 1.JPG
    366.6 KB · Views: 111
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    196.2 KB · Views: 102
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    439.3 KB · Views: 120
Plastic pallets are hard to find. I hate the rotten wood pallets and yes, I've gotten the nails into my feet since as you pull the rotten top off, the bottom boards stay in the ground with their rusty nails sticking up.

My current favorite is the foam pallets. Consistent in size and free.

I think you just blew my mind.

How dense is the styrofoam? Does it hold up well to abuse or does it break off into little annoying and polluting pieces?

I have chickens.

For those of you with chickens, you know styrofoam is at the top of the chicken food pyramid, where sugar is located for us. LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Clarkbug
I think you just blew my mind.

How dense is the styrofoam? Does it hold up well to abuse or does it break off into little annoying and polluting pieces?

The pallets don't chunk apart or leave beads. They sometimes have forklift groove marks in them that didn't cause flakes. They look to be the higher density 25 psi foam vs. home depot insulation 15 psi foam.

I have 6 rows on the foam pallets now and each row is one cord. None have broken as I loaded or walked on them. They were used for 2000# bags of product so they are built well enough to hold up to freight use.

I know a guy in the EPS business. I used a lot of foam insulation under the slab of my barn.

Attachments

• asdfs.JPG
    asdfs.JPG
    404.3 KB · Views: 101
  • truckfoam.jpg
    truckfoam.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 98
Highbeam, where do you get those from and how much do they cost you?

Has anyone used these kind of plastic pallets:

00C0C_2LTxl8i4DOI_600x450.jpg

00s0s_aoORZWkOyn9_600x450.jpg

00A0A_2fJfcT4Zwy5_600x450.jpg

I wouldn't hesitate to use pallets like that. They look sturdy enough. Good find.

Status
Not open for further replies.