Wood shed foundation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orenn89

Dec 14, 2014
Central Ct
I am planning my wood shed out and was curious what you guys thought of concrete blocks for a foundation instead of poured footers. I am planning on building the shed 16' wide, 4' deep,' 8 feet high. I was thinking of putting blocks on the four corners and in the middle of the 16' spread. Do you think this will work?

Block allows you the nifty option of being able to move the shed in the future. If you take a fancy to another location or use.
Plus you cannot be reassessed on a non permanent structure.

Reactions: ClintonH
My next woodshed will have no foundation. I built one out of pallets sitting on concrete blocks a while ago and it eventually fell apart. The weight of five cords of wood is nothing to sneeze at. What I plan to do with my next one is sink 6 x 6 posts in the ground at the corners simply for the purposes of holding up the roof girders and providing something to nail some sides to. Inside the perimeter of the posts will be filled with a layer of gravel with pallets sitting on top of that. Kind of a woodshed/pole barn. As for reassessment, that depends on your locality-where I'm from anything larger than 100SF is subject to permits, zoning, and taxation-foundation or no foundation. A 12 x 24 brought in on a rolloff truck and set on ground is treated the same as a 24x48 pole barn with a slab. Which is my shed will be 6 x 16 ;lol

I am planning my wood shed out and was curious what you guys thought of concrete blocks for a foundation instead of poured footers. I am planning on building the shed 16' wide, 4' deep,' 8 feet high. I was thinking of putting blocks on the four corners and in the middle of the 16' spread. Do you think this will work?
This was an old cow feeder I think, raised the roof and made a wood rack .

Attachments

• garden aug 2013 005.JPG
    garden aug 2013 005.JPG
    288.4 KB · Views: 400
4X4 bungs on top of 4" of 3/4" crushed stone make the stone extend out 12" on all sides.....same base they recommend when they bring in a pre-fab shed

I built on blocks . . . only recommendation is to over build it . . . make sure there is plenty of support . . . in my case I have a block every 4 feet or so . . . didn't want to deal with broken or bowed floor stringers. So far, so good.

Status
Not open for further replies.