Wood shed on piers

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shipper50

Minister of Fire
Nov 10, 2007
Indiana
I am not a carpenter or builder by any stretch. My question is, if I use concrete piers to put 4x4's on can I build it with just the 4x4 standing without any anchor system? I have looked at many of the shed on here and cant tell if the builder used a plate or anchor to hold the 4x4 post up.

Thanks
Shipper

Some blocks come in handy down the road if a corner starts sinking into the ground.
It can be nice to jack up and stick a shim in between.

There are tax differences here between permanent structures and temporary ([re]moveable) structures.

Shipper50 said:
I am not a carpenter or builder by any stretch. My question is, if I use concrete piers to put 4x4's on can I build it with just the 4x4 standing without any anchor system? I have looked at many of the shed on here and cant tell if the builder used a plate or anchor to hold the 4x4 post up.

Thanks
Shipper

Shipper, I was going to ask the same question as you, so I will be interested in seeing the responses. Basically, I am looking to build a basic structure of 4X4's and a roof (no walls yet) Was just thinking a typical shed roof...maybe 8 ft in the front sloped to 6 in the rear....was looking at a dimensions of possible 10 x 10 overall...with just pallets on the ground.

Also, not to hijack the post.....but I live in Mass, and I wanted to get some feedback on how far I should dig down for the footings....or perhaps I could go with those prefab type blocks that just rest on the ground and have a space in the middle for a 4x4

If you have a diagram of what you have in mid I would love to see a pic/scan of it.

Use the "U" brackets that can be attached to the cement piers and then nailed or screwed into the posts. You will need something to hold the shed down during high winds.

The concrete corner pads are the piers that Shipper is referring to. Commonly used in deck construction.
After building this I had the same thought, a good wind is going to tip this thing over. I did anchor it in the corners with
rebar cemented into the ground. Course now that it is totally full with 5 cords of wood I don't think it's going anywhere.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/3fordasho/DSC02765.jpg

I want to thank 3fordasho for having the shed he built for me to somewhat copy, he has answered my questions also without complaint.

I worked on my shed a bit today and here is what I have so far. I did have it kinda started before and it fell so I made it bigger and worked the ground with my tiller to make the area more level.

Any help with what you see would be appreciated. My shed will be around 6ft front to back and 15.6 side to side. 8ft in front and slope to 6ft in the back with asphalt shingles on the roof.

Shipper

Attachments

• hert lane 085_600_450.jpg
    hert lane 085_600_450.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 1,289
Sometimes it's better to remove just the topsoil from where the 'piers' will be a and fill that hole with stone or gravel, tamping it down so it is solid and doesn't sink.

Short of hurricane force winds the roof should stay put from the weight of the shingles , or even roll roofing.

I dug down about a foot and filled it with processed stone to aid with drainage. This "shed" is 16' by 6', sloping from 8' to 6'. It holds about 5 cords, filled correctly.

Attachments

• gravelyshed2.jpg
    gravelyshed2.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 1,253
This shows a better angle

Attachments

• gravelyshed1.jpg
    gravelyshed1.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 1,323
3fordasho said:
The concrete corner pads are the piers that Shipper is referring to. Commonly used in deck construction.
After building this I had the same thought, a good wind is going to tip this thing over. I did anchor it in the corners with
rebar cemented into the ground. Course now that it is totally full with 5 cords of wood I don't think it's going anywhere.

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d75/3fordasho/DSC02765.jpg

Hey that shelter looks good.. Similar to what I built.. The lattice looks good and I may do something similar.. I posted my shelter pic a little while back..

Ray

I just noticed how similar my shed is to 3fordasho's. I like the lattice across the front, I may have to make some changes to mine....

I like the lattice on the sides, but I thinks I would be hitting my head on the lattice on the front. Looks great, and I am looking to build a similar shed. I would just get rid of the lattice on the front.

I like your sheds. I have my wood in the garage now, but I'd feel better if it was in a shed.
I talked to the town bldg dept today and they said anything under 100 ft2 doesn't need a permit, so 16x6 is a good size for me.
5 cords would also be good.
My ground is pretty slopey though. I guess I'd have to level it out, taking drainage into account, but it wouldn't be too easy.
Is there a design that would would work with the slope?

Shipper50 said:

Thanks
Shipper

It's very common around here.

velvetfoot said:
I like your sheds. I have my wood in the garage now, but I'd feel better if it was in a shed.
I talked to the town bldg dept today and they said anything under 100 ft2 doesn't need a permit, so 16x6 is a good size for me.
5 cords would also be good.
My ground is pretty slopey though. I guess I'd have to level it out, taking drainage into account, but it wouldn't be too easy.
Is there a design that would would work with the slope?
I live in southern Indiana and I don't think you need a permit for a firewood shed. I didn't look into it as I live in the country and no one knows but me and now 1000's on the net. :lol:

If you look at my pic, I took my rotor tiller and had to make the area the shed sits on level. As for drainage I will have to wait and see if rain flows off the hill behind the shed, but I don't see that happening.

Shipper

a building permit
and what puts a sparkle in your taxman's eyes can be two different things.

Shipper50 said:

Thanks
Shipper
in indiana if you can get in to 4 inchs of clay usally starts at 36inchs you will not need concrete at all just back fill and it will never move or settle

CowboyAndy said:
So if I can ask the guys who have already built one, how ,uch did it cost you?

I have just under four bills into mine, more than I wanted to spend but had to make it look decent, the neighbors are already bitching about the wood stacks..

In regards to building permits, in my case if I kept it under 120 sq ft I didn't need one. Ended up at 116 sq ft or so ;-)

3fordasho: what kind of tractor is that behind the shed with steel wheels? I got a 39 John Deere L.

I just put on a 12x8ft addition to my 12x14 shed for pellet storage. Got all the lumber from the amish lumber yard cost was ~325.oo with metal roof.

Shipper50 said:

Thanks
Shipper

It's easier and stronger just to use poles direct buried in the ground. Are you avoiding that type of construction for some reason? I've got some barns I put in 40 years ago with 6" X 6" CCA treated poles and no rot yet. Now, CCA is hard to find, and 4" poles suited for direct burial are also rare to non-existant. Many places do sell treat 4" X 4"s, but not properly treated. Get 6" X 6" poles ACQ or Copper Azole teated to .31 or more, and the shed will outlast you. Sink them down to the frost line and no wind will ever move the building.

woodsman23 said:
I just put on a 12x8ft addition to my 12x14 shed for pellet storage. Got all the lumber from the amish lumber yard cost was ~325.oo with metal roof.
Any chance you have pics? I guess me going to my local Lowes and Menards was a mistake as you sure beat my cost so far and I dont have a metal roof.

Shipper

jdemaris said:
Shipper50 said:

Thanks
Shipper

It's easier and stronger just to use poles direct buried in the ground. Are you avoiding that type of construction for some reason? I've got some barns I put in 40 years ago with 6" X 6" CCA treated poles and no rot yet. Now, CCA is hard to find, and 4" poles suited for direct burial are also rare to non-existant. Many places do sell treat 4" X 4"s, but not properly treated. Get 6" X 6" poles ACQ or Copper Azole teated to .31 or more, and the shed will outlast you. Sink them down to the frost line and no wind will ever move the building.
The reason I went with piers was the last home owner left 4 here and I only had to buy 2 more. Your the second person today to suggest I should have put the up rights in the ground and not have used the piers.

Shipper

Status
Not open for further replies.