wood shed progress, triaxle load, split stacks (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

brooktrout

Dec 23, 2007
Hamden, NY
Well, progress is moving along on the shed- throwing on shingles today. Not sure if I'll get to the siding this year, might just tarp it in until next year. Gonna do board and batten hemlock. In my earlier post awhile ago, I reported ogf the slop it was on and the need for a pretty hefty floor system- will hold six cord, which is upwards of 18,000lbs. here's some pics. Iwon't be able to post all of the pics here, so I'll do seperate postings.

Attachments

• 702886733307_0_BG.jpg
    702886733307_0_BG.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 796
  • 822886733307_0_BG.jpg
    822886733307_0_BG.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 767
  • 302886733307_0_BG.jpg
    302886733307_0_BG.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 784
Here's the logs- mostly oak and cherry, some maple. $600, will split to about 6-7 cord. Also, the stack ready for the next two winters- about ten cord of cherry, ash and hard maple.

Attachments

• 212886733307_0_BG.jpg
    212886733307_0_BG.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 764
  • 322886733307_0_BG.jpg
    322886733307_0_BG.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 770
Board & batten sounds like it'll seal it up pretty tight...don't you want some air flow through there? Rick

sawdustburners said:
watch for bugs coming off the wood onto your house. sure is close.
Actually, that's just another shed. House is out of view to the left. About 12ft away. (see avatar) Besides, we got enough damn bugs in this 155yr old house- what's a few more :lol:

fossil said:
Board & batten sounds like it'll seal it up pretty tight...don't you want some air flow through there? Rick
Absolutely. The board and batten won't go all the way up. I'll leave a good foot of space by the eaves for circulation. Not sure if I'm going to side all four sides anyways.

Sounds good...did you leave generous spacing between floor boards? Rick

fossil said:
Sounds good...did you leave generous spacing between floor boards? Rick
No, floor is 12" on center 2 x 8 pres. treated joists with 3/4" ply floor.

Just a thought, round here, the old barns & mills have hemlock board siding with about 1" gap in between each board. The left the gap for the sole reason of ventilation/ My father has an old grist mill that is over 100 years old, with the original hemlock siding. Kinda cool as it has the original grinding gears from underneath now laying up on the second floor. Anyways, the boards were usually run vertically. Just another thought, if you only vent the top without some venting at bottom, only the top of the shed will vent. You need air flowing from the bottom or floor to gt complete circulation.

Shed, poles & splits stacks looks great. Very nice set up!

brooktrout has gone from zero to sixty in this woodburning stuff in nothing flat! When he finally gets a new efficient stove he is going to smack himself in the head for what he has been missing. :)

Still needs about a zillion holes in the floor of that shed...then a new stove. Rick

fossil said:
Still needs about a zillion holes in the floor of that shed...then a new stove. Rick

I'm thinking automatic weapons here.

BrotherBart said:
fossil said:

I'm thinking automatic weapons here.
OH, OH Can I fire it? CAN I FIRE IT? RAISES HAND!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do ya need anything else ventilated also!!!!!!

Too bad the roof's already on...could be a lot of fun from the air. Rick

that shed = alot of firewood $$ if you ask me!

brooktrout said:
Here's the logs- mostly oak and cherry, some maple. $600, will split to about 6-7 cord. Also, the stack ready for the next two winters- about ten cord of cherry, ash and hard maple.
Your ready!

brooktrout said:
Well, progress is moving along on the shed- throwing on shingles today. Not sure if I'll get to the siding this year, might just tarp it in until next year. Gonna do board and batten hemlock. In my earlier post awhile ago, I reported ogf the slop it was on and the need for a pretty hefty floor system- will hold six cord, which is upwards of 18,000lbs. here's some pics. Iwon't be able to post all of the pics here, so I'll do seperate postings.

Just out of curiousity, what'd you use for the header across the opening where the ladder is in the first pic? It's hard to see from the pic, but it's already looking a bit swaybacked. I hate to be a kill-joy, and you seem to have really over-engineered (in a good way) the shed for the most part, but I am worried that you don't have much experience with headers (the part of the framing over the opening), and the 3rd picture demonstrates that.

You built the shed with 2x6 joists, right? Unfortunately, you laid the headers on their sides (probably to make them fit with the thickness of the wall framing, right?), and even tripled them to add strength. However, when you lay them on the side, they lose their lateral rigidity...e.g. they act like they are only 1 and 1/2 inches tall, which they are. Stifness comes from the 6 inch dimension, and you lose that by laying them sideways. Over time, and with changing seasons, or a heavy snow pack, those are just going to keep sagging more and more, till they fail.

Those three that are ganged up in the third pic should be flipped up. Since they then will be too narrow, you should sandwich some 1/2 ply to get to the correct thickness, and the ply also adds even more stifness. For example, 3 2x6's, which are really 1.5 inches thick, will measure out at 4.5 inches thick. The walls are really 5.5 inches thich, so adding 2 strips of 1/2 inch plywood that are the same size at the 2x6's (one between each pair of 2x6's) gives you the full 5.5 inch thickness that you want. Also, adding a knee-brace at the upper corners of the openings will help minimize sagging, too. By the way, 2x8's would probably be preferably for that width.

Hope this helps, and I write this up because a beautiful shed like that deserves to be perfect, and last forever!

M1sterM said:
brooktrout said:

Just out of curiousity, what'd you use for the header across the opening where the ladder is in the first pic? It's hard to see from the pic, but it's already looking a bit swaybacked. I hate to be a kill-joy, and you seem to have really over-engineered (in a good way) the shed for the most part, but I am worried that you don't have much experience with headers (the part of the framing over the opening), and the 3rd picture demonstrates that.

You built the shed with 2x6 joists, right? Unfortunately, you laid the headers on their sides (probably to make them fit with the thickness of the wall framing, right?), and even tripled them to add strength. However, when you lay them on the side, they lose their lateral rigidity...e.g. they act like they are only 1 and 1/2 inches tall, which they are. Stifness comes from the 6 inch dimension, and you lose that by laying them sideways. Over time, and with changing seasons, or a heavy snow pack, those are just going to keep sagging more and more, till they fail.

Those three that are ganged up in the third pic should be flipped up. Since they then will be too narrow, you should sandwich some 1/2 ply to get to the correct thickness, and the ply also adds even more stifness. For example, 3 2x6's, which are really 1.5 inches thick, will measure out at 4.5 inches thick. The walls are really 5.5 inches thich, so adding 2 strips of 1/2 inch plywood that are the same size at the 2x6's (one between each pair of 2x6's) gives you the full 5.5 inch thickness that you want. Also, adding a knee-brace at the upper corners of the openings will help minimize sagging, too. By the way, 2x8's would probably be preferably for that width.

Hope this helps, and I write this up because a beautiful shed like that deserves to be perfect, and last forever!
Well, I am a rookie carpenter, but I shoulda known better. I realized my mistakes as soon as I was done. My corners are reversed, as well. I didn't flip the headers on purpose, though. I do have a couple 2 x 6 I could put up to bolster the offending headers, and throw another jack stud on each corner to support them. My main concentration was the floor system, and I think I tackled that okay. The hardest part was learning the right way to use my square to find the angles for the roof. I never really looked before at the little book that came with it. I made many mistakes on this one, but being my first building of any type (except a large dog house, also over-engineered- weighs about 600lbs :bug: ), I was looking forward to the learning curve. God knows I've learned alot restoring my 1855 farmhouse ovver the last 8 yrs :) . Thanks for your input.

Adirondackwoodburner said:
that shed = alot of firewood $$ if you ask me!
Hey, I've seen woodsheds on this forum I could rent out as small houses- nicely decorated, too (just check out fossil's!)

First and last thing I ever built in my life was a 12 X 24 wood shed. Neighbor, that when he gets bored builds a wing on the house in a weekend, looked at it and grinned and said "Yeah it should stand up a couple of weeks.". That was in 1989 and the damn thing is still standing. Of course it is so full of crap that there isn't any room for wood in it anymore. Leans just a tad, but still standing.

Status
Not open for further replies.