Wood shed Project Pictures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ecocavalier02

Minister of Fire
Dec 12, 2008
ct
Just some pics of the shed.. ill put the roof on this week then will probably just tarp the sides for this winter then in the spring spend some more money to do it up nice .

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    63.6 KB · Views: 1,299
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 1,309
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 1,325
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 1,310
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 1,308
The floor for this year will just be pallets. But In the spring build a floor prob with regular decking and a good air space. Also going to dig it out a little and out stone im there.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
bugs from wood close to house?
I stack wood here every year. Also its mostly just forwkood for the winter. This is where I haves stacked wood for the past 4 years and haven't had a problem. Plus I spray good all around and that seems ti so the job.

Looking good.
Pallet floor will work for many years.
We are waiting for the picture with it full of wood you know :)
Good job! Looks strong enough to handle several feet os snow.
Metal roof may cause the snow to slide & block access.
I used roll roofing for mine,(cheapest) but if it were attached to the house, my wife would have
insisted it match the house roof. (shingles)

bogydave said:
Looking good.
I used roll roofing for mine,(cheapest) but if it were attached to the house, my wife would have

Yeah i will be putting shingles on it for the wife sake. lol but it will look nice with the shingles. my house needs a rough here in the next couple years so now we have to figure which shingles will match when that time comes

bogydave said:
Looking good.

Yeah i will be putting shingles on it for the wife sake. lol but it will look nice with the shingles. my house needs a rough here in the next couple years so now we have to figure which shingles will match when that time comes. oh and dont worry ill post pics of when it full. it'll be nice cause its big enough to easly put 3 cord in so i can stack it so i have some room to work in there if i have to run out and split or cut a piece of wood.

Looks great! Perhaps some lattice on the sides would enhance the looks and allow for good air flow... I would worry about bugs and other pests with a shelter so close to my house but some people do it here.. It may be a good idea to get an exterminator to treat under and around the shelter before you fill it with wood as a precautionary measure...

Ray

Hey all. Heres my shed project. I should finish today. Considering my splits average 16", and the shed is 16' long and 6.5' deep, does anyone have any idea how many cords I can fit in there. The back is 6' high and the front is 8'. THANX!

Attachments

• shed frame 1.jpg
    shed frame 1.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 1,125
  • shed frame 2.jpg
    shed frame 2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 1,132
If you stack an average of 6.5 ft. high front to back, you'll get about 5 1/4- 5 1/3 cord in there. Obviously, the higher you stack toward the front, the more will fit.
Multiply the width x height x depth, then divide by 128. Try a few combos with different heights to give you an idea.
You could also calculate each row as it's stacked, then add together.
Your shed looks quite a bit like mine. Nice job.:coolsmile:
Welcome to the forum, too.

Attachments

• IMG_3862resize.jpeg
    IMG_3862resize.jpeg
    143.2 KB · Views: 1,095
raybonz said:
Looks great! Perhaps some lattice on the sides would enhance the looks and allow for good air flow... I would worry about bugs and other pests with a shelter so close to my house but some people do it here.. It may be a good idea to get an exterminator to treat under and around the shelter before you fill it with wood as a precautionary measure...

Ray

might not be a bad idea. im not to worried about it to much the shed sets mostly next to just concrete. also it will only be filled in the fall to end of winter mostly and the wood is really dry which i think helps alot with bugs. i mean we get a spider everyonce in a while crawling around. but we get that in the summer to. i dont have the convenience of being able to get a vehicle in the backyard in the winter to cart wood up my slope of a back yard. and would require wheelbarrowing and shoveling a ton of snow as well.

ecocavalier02 said:
Just some pics of the shed.. ill put the roof on this week then will probably just tarp the sides for this winter then in the spring spend some more money to do it up nice .
Looks good so far, but I gota ask if you have, or are planning on putting, a brace in the middle holding the two side beams from spreading? Your rafter/beam design would likely sag in the middle in time with out one. I don't see one there so far, that's why Im asking. :)

we did a double 2 by six with plywood in the middle as a header and the were going to do side braces from the 4 x 4 to the header on both ends.

ecocavalier02 said:

love it...small and tucked behind the house with well built roof.
Nice job.

I have a few sheds and one of mine is tall (over the 6' stockade) and goddy and is being decommissioned when the most of the wood is consumed this year.

One step closer to having some wood in there hopefully by next week it will be full. Going to see how much a truck load of stone is think it would be nice to top it off with some. Just used what i had for now.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    53.9 KB · Views: 888
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 876
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 895
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 875
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 906
still have some bracing to do. and throw some stain on the pine, but its getting there.

Looks good keep up the good work!

Ray

You wanna build one for me - I think it really looks great.

Being nearer the house is functional, bugs be damned. That is why Man invented Raid. :vampire:

Looks awesome Eco. Better get some wood in there before your wife decides its a good place for a hot tub.

BTW, I use the same drying strategy. Dry it away from the house then stack enough under a roof right next to the door before the snow flies. No bugs here either.

Haha. The hot tub will go under the deck when we build one. And yeah it is gonna be very functional. Right out the door and I'm there and it's dry!

Nice looking woodshed.

~*~vvv~*~ said:
bugs from wood close to house?
Not if off floor and dry!

Hurry up & get some fire wood in the sucker.
Below freezing here, you need to hurry :)

Looking good,
professional job!

Status
Not open for further replies.