Wood Shed Questions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

scfa99

I'm thinking of purchasing a 8 x 8 run in shed, has 8 foot ceilings. I've been doing freestanding stacks with tarps and I'm thinking of getting an 8 x 8 run-in shed. Bit of a noob question regarding sheds. If I split and stack in a run in shed will the wood dry properly or would I need to stack and then transfer in the fall? I'm really hoping there is a way I can only move it once. If the answer is it won't dry properly in the shed are there ways around that? example split and pile and leave in the sun for 4-5 mos then stack in shed or stack in rows to allow air circulation?

Does anyone know approximately how many cords it would hold if I stacked 6 feet high in an 8 x 8 shed?

Matt

At 6' high 8x8 is 3 cord.

is the shed open on all sides or just 1. If just 1 you would need to cut some vents for deceint drying.
What I try to do is split as early in spring as i can and just leave the splits in loose piles in the open and then move to the shed in the fall before the heavy rains arrive

open just on the front, almost the entire front is open. 3 cords thats all it will hold?

a cord is a stack 4'tall x 4'wide x 8'long
so yes 8'x8'x6' is 3 cords

yeh just seemed like it would hold alot more after standing in it, but the math doesn't lie.

I think the ideal shed allows so much air through it that you can stack partially seasoned wood in it and it will finish seasoning. I've built two sheds out of pallets this summer and will be building two more. I hope to be able to hold 20 cords completely dry. That will allow me to move only slightly seasoned wood in and 4 years later be able to burn right out of the shed, (or in the shed :bug: ) Here's pics of my 2 existing sheds.

Attachments

• 000_0609.jpg
    000_0609.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 930
  • 000_0615-1.jpg
    000_0615-1.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 970
Matt:

A woodshed is a added benefit, thats all!! My neighbour who has a wood furnace just stacks his wood under the trees and tarps it. He has been doing that for years. Personally, I like my sheds with the tarp roofs, but I really wonder how much better seasoned my wood is than his.?? Anyway, I reallyl wouldn`t go about buying one. Just use whatever scraps you can scrounge, and build something-if it`s ugly, then do what my wife makes me do, hide it in the forest %-P

A shed is conveniant!. No scraping the snow off. No wind blowing the tarps off. Just walk in, get a load of wood and walk out. Well worth it IMHO.

I agree. I think a wood shed is a vital tool in keeping your supply 1) easy to get at 2) Clean from snow 3) Makes your yard look better.
However, I think the drying process is better suited out of the wood shed, exposed to the sun, rain and elements.
I only use my wood shed for storing cured wood.

Attachments

• IMG_0804.JPG
    IMG_0804.JPG
    83.9 KB · Views: 662
My plans are for a pallet shed this year. I have a good pallet area set up and do the tarp thing - but that is getting old fast.

I was thinking of building sheds/racks similar to the ones on the very bottom of this thread:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tools/msg110847423622.html

I was planning 3 at first. 2 would be some distance away from the house and face south. The third would be near the house. Each would hold about 1.33 cords.

I figure I'll burn only 2 cords a year so that will give me 2 years of wood.

That's the plan at least. Any comments?

Kirk22 said:
I was thinking of building sheds/racks similar to the ones on the very bottom of this thread:
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/tools/msg110847423622.html

I was planning 3 at first. 2 would be some distance away from the house and face south. The third would be near the house. Each would hold about 1.33 cords.

I figure I'll burn only 2 cords a year so that will give me 2 years of wood.

That's the plan at least. Any comments?

Those look nice.
How much do you suppose they would cost? Each?
Why do you want three instead of one larger shed?

my shed is an old converted chicken coop, about 10 x 15 x 7 high. holds about 7 cords. closed on all sides, except for a screen window on the front.

i usually let the wood cure in the elements, and bring it into the shed in late aug/early sept. also, at the end of the heating season, the "extra" wood that didn't make it into the shed gets brought into the shed right away, and is the driest for the fall burn.

Wolves-Lower said:
Those look nice.
How much do you suppose they would cost? Each?
Why do you want three instead of one larger shed?

I decided on 'separates' so that I could be more flexible. On top of that my wife and I couldn't decide on a place near the house to build one big shed that was in the sun and didn't block the view. I don't want to re-stack wood so these seem like a good option.

I may put 2x4 skids on the bottom or maybe even a steel subframe and wheels at some point. I haven't decided yet but it would be nice to be able to move a full rack about 200 feet from the field to the house. They will weigh 5 or 6 thousand pounds loaded so I don't know if a simple skid will work.

I don't know how much they would cost. I may be able to start building them next weekend so I'll let you know. One thing for sure, they will cost more than a pallet shed but I'll have them for a very long time.

What we use for a wood shed isn't for everyone but out in the country we do what works best.

After we dumped a huge pile of wood...maybe 20-24 cords of split wood we made a giant tent 30ft long and about 10ft wide. Tied 3 saplings to make a tripod about 9ft tall. So we have those 2 tripods then bridged the 2 tripods with another 30ft long 4in diameter sapling. then tarped it over tent style.

It only took an hour and a half to make, now that its a third empty I walk in there with the wheel barrel then bring the wood to the back porch.

the main advantage using this method is that I no longer stack my wood. I just dump it into a long huge pile with the tractor bucket...saves a ton of time. It's the smartest wood move I ever made. Only wish I thought of this 30 years ago.

I think we're going to need a picture of that set-up.

Status
Not open for further replies.