1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood Shed Re-Do

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by CountryGal, Feb 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CountryGal

CountryGal Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    So, now that I know I have to season my own firewood a year, I got rid of the firewood holders and had my wood shed redone. Now I can fill it up with wood and know it's seasoned a full year at least!

Here's the re-do & the old way:

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I want to do something like that with my old deck except with a pitched roof to shed snow and water.. How much wood can you fit in there?

Ray
  3. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    I'm about to find out next month! My wood guy is getting a load of logs and I'm having him cut 16" firewood for me. I am going to start out with 2 cords and see how long they last. Then next year we can adjust depending on what we use.
  4. raybonz

raybonz Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Carver, MA.
    I understand that the desert has extreme temps. What is it like there year round as far as night and day temps? Do you need to heat year round at night?

Ray
  5. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    No, we only need heat in the winter usually. Summers here are really hot and it cools down in the evening, but not enough to use the stove.
  6. WarmGuy

WarmGuy Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Far Northern Calif. Coast
    That wood is going to get so dry. Wish I could season mine in the desert.
  7. Harley

Harley Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ashfield, MA
    That should work out a lot better for you that way, CG.

Now get that shed loaded for next year - it should dry out fine where you are. And the flooring should help keep some of the creepy/crawly desert critters out of the wood pile :gulp:
  8. CountryGal

Loc:
    Mojave Desert California
    Yes, that's a plus. I try not to think of scorpions and snakes when I go out there at night. {{{{{shudder}}}}}

The good thing is in the winter it's too cold for rattlesnakes. I plan on having the wood stacked east and west so I can work from front to back. I just put a few pieces in there to get an idea of how man rows it will hold. The wood I'm burning right now is in a rack out front, as we needed to empty the shed to build the flooring and add the 2x4s to the sides and back.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.