Wood Shed Re-Do

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, now that I know I have to season my own firewood a year, I got rid of the firewood holders and had my wood shed redone. Now I can fill it up with wood and know it's seasoned a full year at least!

Here's the re-do & the old way:

Attachments

• Wood Shed 2-8-08.jpg
    Wood Shed 2-8-08.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 811
  • Wood Shed Web.jpg
    Wood Shed Web.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 839
I want to do something like that with my old deck except with a pitched roof to shed snow and water.. How much wood can you fit in there?

Ray

raybonz said:
I want to do something like that with my old deck except with a pitched roof to shed snow and water.. How much wood can you fit in there?

Ray

I'm about to find out next month! My wood guy is getting a load of logs and I'm having him cut 16" firewood for me. I am going to start out with 2 cords and see how long they last. Then next year we can adjust depending on what we use.

CountryGal said:
raybonz said:

Ray

I'm about to find out next month! My wood guy is getting a load of logs and I'm having him cut 16" firewood for me. I am going to start out with 2 cords and see how long they last. Then next year we can adjust depending on what we use.

I understand that the desert has extreme temps. What is it like there year round as far as night and day temps? Do you need to heat year round at night?

Ray

That should work out a lot better for you that way, CG.

Now get that shed loaded for next year - it should dry out fine where you are. And the flooring should help keep some of the creepy/crawly desert critters out of the wood pile :gulp:

Yes, that's a plus. I try not to think of scorpions and snakes when I go out there at night. {{{{{shudder}}}}}

The good thing is in the winter it's too cold for rattlesnakes. I plan on having the wood stacked east and west so I can work from front to back. I just put a few pieces in there to get an idea of how man rows it will hold. The wood I'm burning right now is in a rack out front, as we needed to empty the shed to build the flooring and add the 2x4s to the sides and back.

Status
Not open for further replies.