Wood Shed Roof, Paint or shingle??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
oldspark said:
BLIMP said:
oldspark said:
You would have replaced those shingles in the 40 years so I think you are ahead of the game.
not if painted with outdoor latex every 10 yrs.
I dont know about that, would not hold up here I dont believe, nobody and I mean nobody does that.
nobody does it due to aesthetics & being unusual but the fact is that the solar degradation will wear out the paint but not the asphalt under the paint, so every 10 yrs or so it needs repainting.

He's right it looks like crap, I now remember seeing a building with a painted asphalt roof, l will take the metal roof any day.

oldspark said:
He's right it looks like crap, I now remember seeing a building with a painted asphalt roof, l will take the metal roof any day.
wonder how long the finish on a metal roof lasts? then what?

BLIMP said:
oldspark said:
As long as the roof is good, metal roofing has come a long way, the buildings that I am talking about that are over 30 year old have never been touched.

oldspark said:
BLIMP said:
oldspark said:
As long as the roof is good, metal roofing has come a long way, the buildings that I am talking about that are over 30 year old have never been touched.
i think a quality shingle roof is warranteed for 30 yrs.

BLIMP said:
metal roof will expand/contract with temperature changes & eventually loosen the fasteners. My 40 yr. old aluminum roof is proof

Not true. How much can .029" thick metal expand? A few thou at best. Besides, the fasteners have to be screwed in with enough force to slightly deform the rubber seal in order for it to be leak proof. The give and take inherent in this type of fastener is way more than any expansion of the metal can overcome. Loose fasteners would be due to the shrinking of the purlin wood itself. If that's a concern, one could always climb up on top of the shed and screw them done until they seat again.

Still, I wouldn't put too much money into that shed. With that shallow pitch and lack of a rafter system, one big wet snowstorm could bring the whole thing down. IMO, put the freebie ply on it, cover with roll roofing and be done with it. Then get out there with a snow rake after every winter storm and scrape her down before snow and ice are allowed to build up.

Nice score on the ply wood.
Roll roofing is my 2nd plan. I really would like to use a metal roof. $ cost is the issue.
snow slides off, last a long time & easy to extend it 6" over edges for a better drip zone
roll roofing cheaper & will last many years. probably out last me.
Will be doing something soon with mine.

It's a wood shed, not a shop or house. I'm using tarps now & it's working :)
If within 20 years you come on a deal on metal roof, it would be another good score
Wood will be dry either way.

I'll probably end up with roll roofing, fast & cheap & looks & lasts better than tarps :) LOL

Well I got the plywood all installed, didn't even have to cut it, it was just the right size. :lol:
I think I am going to go with the roll roofing, looks like HD has it for $30/roll, 2 rolls should do the job.
I will probably go with the white color, just like the gov energy adviser says. :roll:

Thanks to all the great suggestions. I never heard of roll roofing before.

Attachments

• Picture 264.jpg
    Picture 264.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 274
WES999 said:
Well I got the plywood all installed, didn't even have to cut it, it was just the right size. :lol:
I think I am going to go with the roll roofing, looks like HD has it for $30/roll, 2 rolls should do the job.
I will probably go with the white color, just like the gov energy adviser says. :roll:

Thanks to all the great suggestions. I never heard of roll roofing before.
now u gotta figure out how to do the roll roofing right, right?& I'm thinking latex roof paint from walmart might do the trick BUT u can get a 5gal can of exterior latex from HD REAL cheap if its paint thats been mistinted= they call it OOPS PAINT..........good lux genius vvv

Why do I need white paint? The roll roofing comes in white acording to the HD website.

Paint over it every 10 years? Wait until you're 60 years old or so, and spin that idea around in your head for a bit. %-P

WES999 said:
Why do I need white paint? The roll roofing comes in white acording to the HD website.
u dont need paint if u do the rollroofing. 5-10 yrs later a coat of paint will preserve the roofing & add 10 yrs to its life. Plywood looks primed so I'd be tempted to slap a [OOPS] cheap,thick coat of outdoor latex on it without the roofing. Cant paint fresh asphalt roof for 5 yrs anyway. gotta lay the rollroof down properly or it wont last. I trowel roofing cement under it & nail on top edge & overlap over the nails after tarring over the nails....can get messy! HD should advise.

fossil said:
Paint over it every 10 years? Wait until you're 60 years old or so, and spin that idea around in your head for a bit. %-P
Thats when u use ur retirment $ & hire a kid

BLIMP said:
fossil said:

No, BLIMP...that's when I put up 30-year asphalt shingles just exactly the color my wife likes on the damn wood shed, and then I never, ever, worry about it again. Rick

fossil said:
BLIMP said:
fossil said:

No, BLIMP...that's when I put up 30-year asphalt shingles just exactly the color my wife likes on the damn wood shed, and then I never, ever, worry about it again. Rick
ahh, may u live another 69 yrs & her too

Metal is the way to go and see no reason to paint ( galvanized)

Nail it to the plywood with the right nails and forget about it - you're good for at least 20 years ( I've got one that's 16 yo and looks new).

I've doen a few roll roofs on my outbuildings and they are a PITA to install and erode after 8 -10 years.

Well, it's all done. I finished it a few weeks ago, just did not get around to posting pics.
I went with white colored roll roofing, about all I had to buy was 2 rolls of roofing and some drip edge and some paint for the plywood, around $100 for everything. All in all came out looking pretty good, and was fairley easy to do.

Best part is the wood shed is FULL, I figure there is about 4 cords inside and maybe another cord outside.
A good portion is 2 years old, good and dry.
Probably 2 years worth for me. :lol:

Attachments

• PDR_0077.jpg
    PDR_0077.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 262
  • PDR_0078.jpg
    PDR_0078.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 261
Just gonna say being in Boston, shingles are probably best if its cost effective for you. Snow, wind , rain, etc stand no chance against the rest.

Since this thread is six years old I suspect the OP has probably decided what they want to use for roofing ... unless they are wicked bad procrastinators.

As you can see in the pic the tarp that was the roof for my wood shed has succumbed to the ravages of the weather. :mad:

I was able to scrounge a bunch of 4' X 3' X 1/2" sheets of plywood ( we get these skids form China at work and throw tons away). I figured the would be fine for a wood shed roof.

I painted the plywood with a oil base exterior primer to seal it as I am sure it not exterior grade.

What do you all think would be the best covering, would just a coat of exterior paint hold up OK, or should I cover it with roofing felt and shingles. ( I have never done a shingle roof but I figure I could do a reasonable job with some advice) . Is there some other type of coating that would work well?

What do you guys think?
Neither. Use Ondura roofing panels instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.