Wood Shed Siding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MJSully

Oct 13, 2015
Stratford, CT
Hello,
Sorry if this is likely a duplicate post. In the process of building my self a wood storage shed. Shed is 6' x 12' by 6' high. Planning on separating into two bays. Planning on trying to do a salt box roof similar to my house.
Question on the siding. Was originally thinking of 1 x 4 or 1 x 6 with slight gaps for air flow. Maybe louver vents on the sides. do i need to worry about that or could I just do plywood? Was thinking I would use it mostly for seasoned or nearly seasoned wood, while stacking newer wood on pallets in the back yard.
Thoughts?
Thanks
Mike

If putting in truly seasoned wood I would try to seal out the elements the best I could so use plywood. If you have a decent over hang slats at the top would help with some air circulation.

Reactions: MJSully
If you are using unseasoned or partially seasoned wood I would run 1x6 with an inch or two of gap between them. To keep most of the rain off the wood as it dries just use an overhang on the roof instead of the flush look of a saltbox.

Reactions: MJSully
If you are using unseasoned or partially seasoned wood I would run 1x6 with an inch or two of gap between them. To keep most of the rain off the wood as it dries just use an overhang on the roof instead of the flush look of a saltbox.

As far as the over hang is concerned, I am assuming that you mean on the sides of the shed?

Yep. Front and back already have an overhang.

Status
Not open for further replies.