Wood "shed"

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

edge-of-the-woods

Feeling the Heat
Nov 21, 2014
Hamden, CT USA
So my wife and I decided in September that we wanted a woodstove insert to help cut down our propane costs this winter (CT), and to make some use of the enormous fireplace we have in the living room. We just had our Regency CI2600 installed two weeks ago.

Since it all happened kinda fast, we had to knock together something to store wood in, and this is it. Just some pallets knocked together really, still need to finish the roof on one side. Holds a 4x4x10 load of wood per side, though, so a little more than two cords.

Now if only we had the foresight to order wood when we made the appointment to put the stove in! We've got one cord of not-seasoned wood, and are desperately trying to find more that is seasoned.

IMG_6494.JPG IMG_6495.JPG IMG_6496.JPG

Reactions: farmboy05
Keeping your unseasoned wood covered will not increase its ability to be used this season. Don't waste your time. Do you know what species it is? Do you have a moisture meter?

Reactions: Beer Belly
Keeping your unseasoned wood covered will not increase its ability to be used this season. Don't waste your time. Do you know what species it is? Do you have a moisture meter?
I agree.....save that space for when / if you find seasoned wood.....may need to look into bio-bricks at this time of the season

Congrats on the new insert and welcome to the forums, as well as the obsession of being a wood burner! To echo the others above, you're best bet is to go with some bio bricks this season and depending on where you are in CT, there are several places where I've seen them available. You also will want to get that wood out of the shed and into the open where it will have the best chance of drying. Stack it loosely and top cover it to protect it from the rain, snow, and ice. Split it small to aid in drying and you'll have should have some decent wood for next year, depending on what species you got in your stacks. There's tons of good info in these forums and lots of knowledgeable people who can offer opinions and advice.

I don't see why that wouldnt dry just fine given time, Its only 3 rows deep on each side so the air should filter in there nice enough. I put my green stuff in a similar type shed and it dries just fine in a years time altho none of mine is oak. I certainly wouldnt go thru the trouble of moving it. Just get more and stack that in the sun just top covered.

Thanks all! It's actually only two rows deep, and we started building it before we realized that the wood people are selling now isn't fully seasoned. Moisture sensor is on order, and I've asked our stove installer about getting some bio bricks.

Love pallets. Nice work. I just finished a small one near the house with a clear, corrugated roof so I can still get sun into the garage. I will put a roof on the big ones next year. I finished that small one at 11:30 last night to beat the 8-12 inches we are supposed to get today. Bring it on!

Attachments

• Wood Shed front.JPG
    Wood Shed front.JPG
    204.9 KB · Views: 309
  • Wood Shed side.JPG
    Wood Shed side.JPG
    221.8 KB · Views: 189
  • stacked wood.JPG
    stacked wood.JPG
    268.8 KB · Views: 162
Status
Not open for further replies.