Wood Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NordicSplitter

Minister of Fire
May 22, 2011
Western,NY
Thinking about getting an 8x8x8 shed from Home Depot early next spring to be used exclusively for wood. Rubbermaid has a nice one that goes together quite nicely. Can probaby fit 5-7 facecords in it nicely. Any insights to this would be appreciated. Thanks

You will not get any air movement or sun in such a shed. The wood needs to go into the shed completely seasoned and ready to burn or it will not dry and will grow mold etc from the trapped moisture.

Regards,

Forrest

fsr4538 said:
You will not get any air movement or sun in such a shed. The wood needs to go into the shed completely seasoned and ready to burn or it will not dry and will grow mold etc from the trapped moisture.

Regards,

Forrest

+1 This is why I built mine on 4x4 posts with drop down tarp sides.. Right now all my tarps are rolled up to the top and secured with bungi's.. The roof keeps the rain off for the most part and lets the wind and sun in.. Even when the tarps are down and secured air still blows in and keeps the majority of the weather out.. Works for me!

Ray

if you have some knowledge of doing some building you can build something like this. i only spent 385 bucks for materials. i also got the roughing and nails for free but still. few hundred bucks and you could have somthing that holds a lot more than the home cheapo thing and get better airflow.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 535
NordicSplitter said:
Thinking about getting an 8x8x8 shed from Home Depot early next spring to be used exclusively for wood. Rubbermaid has a nice one that goes together quite nicely. Can probaby fit 5-7 facecords in it nicely. Any insights to this would be appreciated. Thanks

The sheds in Home Depot seem to be a bit costly and I suspect the same for Rubbermaid so you might want to consider alternatives.

Have you considered a carport? In these parts we can buy a 18' x 12' x 6' carport for $795. That would give you a cover and still leave the wood free to get air. I have a neighbor who did this except his is much larger and also 12' high (so he can get his tractor in) and it has really worked out nicely.

On the other hand, I use old galvanized roofing for a cover on the wood and it too works out very well.

Christmas-2008d-1.jpg

btw, that is a log splitter under that tarp between the wood piles.

NordicSplitter said:

I'd skip it. Packed to the gunwales - which I'm certain it's not designed for, especially after you get dome punching a hundred or so vent holes in it - it'll hold only 4 cord. For that kind of money and hassle you're better off with one of the prefab car ports - similar price, way more space, unlimited ventilation.

NordicSplitter said:

1) Not a whole lot of ventilation . . . which is OK if you only put in well seasoned wood . . . but my own feeling is that I would want my wood to continue to season even if I think it is seasoned enough to burn . . . experience has shown me that it's hard to over season your wood.

2) I think for the money you could do a better job building your own . . . woodsheds are not very hard to build and are pretty forgiving in terms of carpentry skills.

3) I also suspect that the floor might not be up to the job of holding up the weight of the wood . . . these things seem to be be built more for storing bikes, pool toys and gardening supplies and tools vs. stacking a whole lot of wood in them.

Couple hundred bucks and a weekend with some buddies and beers, gets it done. This started life as a dog kennel till last weekend. Took off the front, removed the dog house, put some back boards on the North side, and laid down some skids. About 10 x 9. Not the biggest. But it will hold a few cord.

Attachments

• #1 Woodshed.jpg
    #1 Woodshed.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 371
  • Dog kennel.jpg
    Dog kennel.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 387
sweet

Judging from the size of that doghouse, you can have the dog bring in the wood a mouthful at a time. Now that would be a step forward in the long history of wood burning.

It was 6 ft long x 3 ft deep x 5 1/2 ft tall. Big Shepard that used to call it home. Now his lazy butt just stays in the house.

+1 with the air circulation comments above.

+1 with cost.

+1 with build your own, an 8' X 8' roof with 4 corner post, pallets for the floor = good air circulation.

Status
Not open for further replies.