Wood sheds on the cheap?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stihl Country said:
BucksCoBernie said:
I built one out of free pallets. It cost me like $10 for screws. I put a new metal roof on a few weeks ago.
That is a fantasic idea. Your shed is low cost and looks great. You should patend it.

Unfortunately it wasnt my idea...i saw someone else built one on a site dedicated to building things out of pallets. I cant remember the site address though. thanks for the compliments though, the shed has worked great. Unfortunately it's almost empty!

Just a couple of money saving ideas if you are building. Landscape timbers go on sale for 1.99 each a few times a year, use them instead of 4X4 for posts - cheaper than non-treated 2X4's at that price. Instead of shingles, or metal, use roll roofing. It's like putting felt up basically. Might only last 15 years instead of 20 or 30, but your grandkids can re-roof it for you in 15 years.

What are the mechanics of withdrawing wood from the stack when covered with the stapled plastic sheeting or plywood? I would imagine you have to take it from the end, no? And how about when there is snow on the plywood?

Before I built my woodshed, my outdoor stacks were topped with long thin poles and the tarps went over them. I would pull the firewood out from under the poles, leaving the cribbed ends to hold the poles up.

my this year stacks are under plywood too. keeps the tarp from freezing to the splits. I just shovel the snow off the top of the plywood when its time to lower the top down. My stacks are 6' high and 30' something long so I just grab splits and when the hole I make gets too unstable under the plywood I level off the top of the pile and lower the plywood down if that makes sense . I did build an 18'x18' wood shed but it has everything but firewood in it, which doesn't make sense. at least I got the splitter in there :shut:

Tarp is really a big pool cover cut down to 30inch by 20 foot sections. plywood on splits then tarp on plywood . The stack I was working is gone now so when its time to drop down the plywood this 20' section of tarp comes off the plywood and gets stored for next year. I'll just use the plywood as cover.til the next stack then repeat. It's easier to shovel the snow off of just plywood. Of course the snow is all gone with the rain now. You can see the hole where a few splits are missing way to the left.

Attachments

• IMG_0056.jpg
    IMG_0056.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 416
I have one of the carport round top models ( see avatar ) from Menards its pretty heavy fabric and can take snow because it slides off . I park my van in it and I left the ends off so I can drive thru it. When I build another garage for toys and the van I will use it for wood storage at 12 x 20 it should hold a good load.
This is my third season using it and it stays up all year.

Attachments

• PB170010 thumbnail pile +van.jpg
    PB170010 thumbnail pile +van.jpg
    2.5 KB · Views: 402
  • Log pile Boxelder Silver maple.jpg
    Log pile Boxelder Silver maple.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 401
^3 years and still going strong and it holds up to snow?...that's really good. Hate to be a pest but what else can you recall about it. Brand name, price, sq ft-age...thanks

I'd like a shed that will hold palletized splits so I can use a three point pallet jack on my tractor to move the whole stack up near the house. A shed that will hold six to ten pallets full of splits, accessible by tractor would do the trick for me.

savageactor7 said:
^3 years and still going strong and it holds up to snow?...that's really good. Hate to be a pest but what else can you recall about it. Brand name, price, sq ft-age...thanks
I have the same one from Menards, Roundtop brand, 12 x 20. Can't remember exactly when I bought it but was probably 7 or 8 years ago. I stored a few cord of Birch in it for a couple of years when my woodshed was full.

Status
Not open for further replies.