1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

wood size for gasifier?

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by carbon neutral, Jul 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carbon neutral

carbon neutral Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    S.E. Connecticut
    I am splitting wood now in anticipation of my EKO 40's arrival, I feel like an expectant father getting the nursery ready. Anyway the wood I am splitting now I cut down in 2003, aside from some pieces that are getting eaten by bugs the wood looks great. Very dry! I am wondering what size is the limit for the diameter of log? For my wood stove I would split to about 7" on any one side maximum. If it was heart wood I would split larger as the heart wood tend to dry out better. For the wood boiler I am splitting as large as 10" on one side. My thought is the wood boiler has a much larger fire box and should be able to handle the larger diameter logs. Have you guys with wood gasifiers found any limits in this regard? I think EKO specifies 8" max, Zenon said no limit so long as it is dry.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. WoodNotOil

WoodNotOil Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern, Vermont
    In my experience it is much more important that the wood is dry. Moderate sized diameters work best. Small pieces burn too quickly and really large piece make it hard to fill the box efficiently. However, all of it burns if it is dry.
  3. Eric Johnson

Eric Johnson Mod Emeritus

Loc:
    Central NYS
    If you can get it through the loading door and it's dry, it'll burn.
  4. jebatty

jebatty Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Northern MN
    Tarm manual says 4-5" splits work best. Seems to be less bridging with smaller splits. I don't have a problem burning the smaller splits. I will put the larger pieces on top.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.