wood size for gasifier?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

carbon neutral

Feeling the Heat
Oct 1, 2007
S.E. Connecticut
I am splitting wood now in anticipation of my EKO 40's arrival, I feel like an expectant father getting the nursery ready. Anyway the wood I am splitting now I cut down in 2003, aside from some pieces that are getting eaten by bugs the wood looks great. Very dry! I am wondering what size is the limit for the diameter of log? For my wood stove I would split to about 7" on any one side maximum. If it was heart wood I would split larger as the heart wood tend to dry out better. For the wood boiler I am splitting as large as 10" on one side. My thought is the wood boiler has a much larger fire box and should be able to handle the larger diameter logs. Have you guys with wood gasifiers found any limits in this regard? I think EKO specifies 8" max, Zenon said no limit so long as it is dry.

In my experience it is much more important that the wood is dry. Moderate sized diameters work best. Small pieces burn too quickly and really large piece make it hard to fill the box efficiently. However, all of it burns if it is dry.

If you can get it through the loading door and it's dry, it'll burn.

Tarm manual says 4-5" splits work best. Seems to be less bridging with smaller splits. I don't have a problem burning the smaller splits. I will put the larger pieces on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.