Wood smell or Insulation?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

klain

Nov 27, 2008
Connecticut
HI, My question is can different woods have different smells? Also, we have insulation around the stone insert that goes through the wall ( does not get hot) but behind the black plate there is more insulation. The middle clay pipe does get warm. There is a terrible odor. Not sure if it is the wood or the insulation. If it is the insulation, should there be another type of insulation used or something else.

Attachments

• stove4.jpg
    stove4.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 333
Is that a clay tile used as a thimble thru a wall for a wood stove flue? If it is, the spray foam you have there is a BAD IDEA - it will burn. And the stuff behind it is likely to burn too unless it is rockwool. You should not smell any smoke once the stove is going. And you need an air gap around any masonary flue, or the heat transfer can cause a dangerous situation. I would get that spray foam stuff out of there, and look into some safer ways to airseal that unit.

Give us some more detail please.

Edit - on a closer look, I think it's yellow fibreglass. Does the smell have a sweet note to it like sugar? If so, you a burning the fibreglass. get it out of there.

This looks like a jerry-rigged thimble. From what is visible, it is illegal and dangerous. The entire assembly should be removed and done correctly.

Hi,
Thanks for your responce. The yellow is insulation not the spray in kind. Behind the black plate was also insulation going around a smaller clay pipe. We have sence removed the inside ( behind the plate ) inslation. The smell seems worse when the stove is started up. It is not a sweet smell. More of a plastic odor. Last week placed stove sealent to fill in some seams. Also a new rope on the doors. The outside pipe is galvinized, inside is steel. Wonder if this is the problem with the odor. Without the insulation behind the black plate, ( around the inside clay pipe) the now outside clay pipe gets alot warmer. Something to go around the inside clay pipe?

Sound to me like the whole setup is a fire waiting to happen. i don't even have to ask if it was done proffesionaly, or inspected. please hire a proffesional or at least get it installed correctly before you burn your house down. it should also be inspected by your local building department, and possibly your ins co

klain said:
...The outside pipe is galvinized, inside is steel. Wonder if this is the problem with the odor. Without the insulation behind the black plate, ( around the inside clay pipe) the now outside clay pipe gets alot warmer. Something to go around the inside clay pipe?

Are you saying you have a homemade chimney? If that galvanized is anywhere inside the house where it can get hot (hot like stovepipe), then remove it immediately. AT high temps, it can offgas and make you and others really sick.

Please give us a complete description of what you have for a setup. I think we can get you some good info on how to make it safe.

The stove pipe is inside. The galvanized pipe is outside only. The thimble is homemade with two clay inserts ( circle in the square). Them a steel plate. The fire marsall was out and said it was a great set up. Maybe I am not explaining it well. The odor is only at the start up. Once running it is gone. I am wondering if it is the wood perhaps been treated?

No pressure treated wood or painted. Clean seasoned maple. We had this set up last year with a older stove and the outside pipe was the same. The thimble has been changed this year, with a different stove Dutchwest 2460. With this year stove we did seal some seams last week ( burned several time sense) and put a new door seal on. When I started the stove this morning ( god to start ) the oder was there again. Once running ( about a hour ) it is fine now. Ther was insulation in between the two thimble clay pipes, in which we removed. Thought maybe that was it. I will be getting some rockwall to replace the insulation around the thimble and wall.
This smell did happen on the previous stove we had this year, again only at the start up of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.