Wood, snow, addition to wood shed Pics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Snow level is coming down fast. Mts got quit a bit this morning.
Added antlers to wood shed. Leaves almost all gone.
I don't like to start burning before Oct, looks like I'll just make it. 20s predicted at night soon.

Attachments

• 100_6689.jpg
    100_6689.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 1,037
  • 100_6692.jpg
    100_6692.jpg
    191.9 KB · Views: 1,087
Nice shed...how much wood u go thru in Alaska every year?

That is just simply beautiful.

steeltowninwv said:

Thanks. Last winter 5-1/2 cords. It was the 1st full season with the cat stove, old stove 9 to 10 cords.

Thanks S1

Looking pretty much the same here Bogy. Had some snow on the ground here for a few hours this morning. Your sheds looking damn good.

north of 60 said:
Looking pretty much the same here Bogy. Had some snow on the ground here for a few hours this morning. Your sheds looking damn good.

seriously -

your shed looks nicer than some houses i've lived in.

beautiful spot there, bogy.

Dave if there ever was a majestic view I think yours sets the standard!!

Ray

bogydave said:
steeltowninwv said:

Thanks. Last winter 5-1/2 cords. It was the 1st full season with the cat stove, old stove 9 to 10 cords.

Thanks S1

Wow that stove was a good investment in terms of wood consumtion and labor! Stay warm!

Ray

bogydave said:
steeltowninwv said:

Thanks S1

Wow! A new stove cut your wood usage by 1/2! That's great! And yes that is an awesome view and looks like a great place to live!

That scene is exactly why if I ever went up to Alaska, it would be a one-way trip for me. Wish I was about 25 years younger.............................AWESOME!!!!!!!

very nice. no snow here yet, but the temps are about the same.

just as the colors were hitting their peak, we had a day (and night) of heavy winds...sooo, now the trees are almost bare here, also.

we had a couple rides planned for this weekend to view the colors, now i think it will turn into a shopping trip for 99.

I like the addition to shed, awesome view wish I was up there, go hit some golf balls before snow.

To the 2 Daves; Bogy and Yooper: you guys are a bit ahead of us but we don't mind at all.

Bogydave, that is a beautiful picture. Are those antlers from this year?

Thanks everybody.
Hope to get some more wood this winter. Now that I'm ahead, "the plan" is to stay that way.

Backwoods Savage said:
Bogydave, Are those antlers from this year?

Yes. Figured it was a good place to let them "season" :)
Bugs got them pretty clean but they still smell a little.

Snow level is coming down fast. Mts got quit a bit this morning.
Added antlers to wood shed. Leaves almost all gone.
I don’t like to start burning before Oct, looks like I’ll just make it. 20s predicted at night soon.

You lucky Ba$tard, Im looking forward to snow and cold.

Nice view, nice shed. I drove to Alaska when I was a kid, loved the trip. I am not sure I could handle the long season of darkness. I am burning here too, in the thirties.

GolfandWoodNut said:
Nice view, nice shed. I drove to Alaska when I was a kid, loved the trip. I am not sure I could handle the long season of darkness. I am burning here too, in the thirties.

Nothing darker than grey cloudy raining skies with tail lights in traffic shinning in your face. ;-)

Coming from Vancouver B.C. to the North, I still find it brighter up here in winter. Not as depressing for me. The stars and moon do a good job of not fighting to shine through a brown haze.

Cheers

Great pic . . .

Looks great Dave! Really nice wood shed and nice stacking too. Beautiful place up there.

Thanks all;
I'll try to post a few more pics if the weather is nice today. Gotta get the potatoes in & clean up the garden into the compost bin.
Like any place, there are pros & cons.
I've lived several places, WV (near Morgantown), PA (So of Pittsburgh) & OR (Klamath Falls) & liked them for various reason too.
I like the 4 seasons, but here the Fall & Spring are short & the Winters & Summers are long. I like the high temps being in the 70s in the summer.
The lows in the -10 or colder in the winter with not much daylight is the toughest part. Gotta stay busy & get outside even in the winter, burning wood makes that easy though.
It seems isolated here as we are so far from driving anywhere & usually have to fly when we leave Alaska. Over 30 years here, I've adjusted.
So far the pros out weigh the cons for us, but being in Hawaii or Southern California in Dec & Jan would be sweet.

There is a small lake out back, but so shallow, no fish, it freezes solid in the winter (just over 4'at the deepest part)

raybonz said:
bogydave said:
steeltowninwv said:

Thanks S1

Wow that stove was a good investment in terms of wood consumtion and labor! Stay warm!

Ray

I was thinking the same thing.

That time saving in splitting probably got you the time to build that rather smart wood shed too :)

Status
Not open for further replies.