Wood Species ID

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WOODBUTCHER

Minister of Fire
I know it's Birch, but since I'm the WoodBucther I like to fine tune the species.
In another thread with Stejus we are confirming that we have what my North American field guide calls "Sweet Birch" or A.k.a Black Birch/Cherry Birch.
It smells just like Birch Beer, I've been burning this stuff for years but just call it "Birch"
I'm also told that many moons ago it was tapped like a Sugar Maple and made into Birch Beer.

WoodButcher

Attachments

• Sweet_Birch_01.jpg
    Sweet_Birch_01.jpg
    185.6 KB · Views: 511
  • Sweet_Birch_02.jpg
    Sweet_Birch_02.jpg
    143.4 KB · Views: 497
I cannot claim to ID that tree for you. But I can confirm that you can indeed tap a black birch and make syrup, similar to maple. I dont know what is used to make birch beer.

Here's a tree that is the same as the splits in my HH Pile. Is this a Black Birch? If so, I'm psyched because I thought is was elm. Black Birch is fine with me and I have lots around the property.

Attachments

• black birch 001.jpg
    black birch 001.jpg
    200.3 KB · Views: 420
  • black birch 002.jpg
    black birch 002.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 465
The bark looks like it, I can't tell on the foliage, too far away

stejus said:
Here's a tree that is the same as the splits in my HH Pile. Is this a Black Birch? If so, I'm psyched because I thought is was elm. Black Birch is fine with me and I have lots around the property.
99% sure thats black birch ,but I'm not eating your swing set.

Werm said:

Foliage

Attachments

• black birch 003.jpg
    black birch 003.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 376
stejus said:
Werm said:

Foliage

YA YA YA YA ! If that ain't black birch I'll eat your house and swing set !!!!!!!

Ok I'll throw this out there. Could it be a Rowan tree? Any red berries around it. That bark looks exactly like the Rowan tree that was in my neighbors yard and I see lots around town. If it is, it's also a good hardwood.

WOODBUTCHER said:
stejus said:
Werm said:

Foliage

Break a twig, it will smell like birch beer

WOODBUTCHER - Broke a twig this morning on my way to get the paper out of the box and it smells sweet like birch beer, that clear colored soda.

Todd - no red berries, we get a lot of these hanging blossoms in the spring though.

I guess the species can be called, sweet, black or cherry birch - aka (Betula lenta).

BTU Rating of 26.8 with a sweet smell, PRICELESS :)

Attachments

• sweet birch flowers.jpg
    sweet birch flowers.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 250
I think you definitely have Black Birch. Great firewood, particularly when you split the stuff and it smells like wintergreen, or whatever that smell is that black birch has. You won't confuse the smell of elm with the smell of black birch, not that elm smells bad.

stejus said:
Werm said:

Foliage

Ask and ye shall receive!!

Black Birch, good burnin' stuff. good for wood turning too but that's a story for another time. Congrtats on the find and enjoy!

Wood Duck said:
I think you definitely have Black Birch. Great firewood, particularly when you split the stuff and it smells like wintergreen, or whatever that smell is that black birch has. You won't confuse the smell of elm with the smell of black birch, not that elm smells bad.

What does elm smell like? The leaves on the elms look similar to the birch.

My field guide says that Sweet Birch, River Birch and Water Birch are all referred to as Black Birch. That's confusing.

Bspring said:
My field guide says that Sweet Birch, River Birch and Water Birch are all referred to as Black Birch. That's confusing.

Mine says the same.....it also says

"Yellow Birch" Gray Birch
"Grey Birch" White Birch
"Paper Birch" White Birch

WB

Status
Not open for further replies.