Wood splitter advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I paid around $1100 for my 27 Ton Troybuilt (MTD). I looked at the Iron and Oak. They really look like strong well built machines but they are over $1000 more for a similar unit. I don't see the payback for the extra money right now since this my splitter does the job quite well. Now that I'm going full time my opinion could change and my next splitter will be one of those.

I do know a replacement cylinder for one of these trunnion machines is around $500.

I have an "American" logsplitter that I have been using for almost 17yrs. It is a horizontal only about a foot from the ground however. I cut and split over 20 cords between the house and my sugaring business each year. Some of these pieces at times have almost been as wide as a door and I put them on it cut to 32 inches. It has no problem splitting them. I too am getting a little older-50. It aint 70 but it aint 25 like when I started doing this stuff either. I bought mine at the local John Deere dealership here.

Just want to throw a good word in for our Ryobi electric splitter. We have a big vertical gas one, and I bought the ryobi so teenagers could do smaller pieces. It handles all but the biggest logs, I can put it on a table, which is so much easier on my knees. The cost was about $300 and it does a great job. We loaned it to my 82 year old dad and with him running the Ryobi and the kids hauling and stacking, they got a cord of wood done in a pleasant afternoon. It worked for him because he could sit down on the tail gate and run it. So, don't let cost hold you back, the big ones are great but kind of dear for our budget. This electric one is pretty great too.

I've been using a Ryobi electric (Homelite branded, Home Depot $300) for the last three years. I share it with a friend and we each burn 5 cords per year. I cut my wood 17 in. This thing is amazing! With the exception of forgetting to open the bleeder or add hydraulic oil, it has been completely trouble free. I have split black oak as large as 28 in. dia, routinely split douglas fir, juniper and lodgepole pine up to 24 in. dia. For your needs, it would be more than adequate unless you're dealing with extremely tough, knotty, forked hardwood. To make it better, I can pick it up and put it in the back of my little Honda Civic wagon without help and I can hold a conversation while running it. No gasoline, no starting problems, no noise! I did add some very simple foot pedals so I can operate it standing up and control the split pieces. I can't recommend it highly enough, when (if) it dies, I'll buy another. 8v))
The reviews on Homedepot.com were almost unanimously positive (88 of 89 recommended) with 5 of 5 stars.
http://reviews.homedepot.com/1999/100348561/4-ton-electric-log-splitter-reviews/reviews.htm

freeburn said:
mikefrommaine said:
Fwiw I would never buy another piece of equipment without a honda engine. I have one Honda engine with over a thousand hours with no problems. Starts every time with a single half hearted pull. Can't say that about any other brand I own.
Which Honda motor do you have on yours? GC or GX? if GC do you notice the engine surging when at full throttle. I was told that that's just how they run.

I have three gx engines, never noticed any surging.

Bubbavh said:

Looks like a clone of a SuperSplit, with design changes to maximize the user interface annoyance.... Works fast when it works, but seems to be fussier on upkeep than a hydraulic, at least that was my experience with the SuperSplit that I used occasionally with a friend... Good for production, but seems overkill for a home user.

Gooserider

Stopped at Lowes on way home from work.......picked up Task Force 5 ton electric splitter for $170 which seemed like a great price - now I googled and there is a recall.......should I return of try it first to see how it works?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
July 7, 2011
Release #11-273 Firm's Recall Hotline: (866) 456-8934
CPSC Recall Hotline: (800) 638-2772
CPSC Media Contact: (301) 504-7908

Changzhou Globe Tool Group Recalls Electric Log Splitters Due to Laceration or Amputation Hazard; Firm to Provide Additional On-Product Warnings; Sold Exclusively at Lowe's Stores
WASHINGTON, D.C. - The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission, in cooperation with the firms named below, today announced a voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. It is illegal to resell or attempt to resell a recalled consumer product.

Name of Product: Task Force 5-ton electric log splitters

Units: About 20,000

Manufacturer: Changzhou Globe Tool Group Co. Ltd., of China

Importer: L G Sourcing, Inc. of North Wilkesboro, NC

Hazard: The electric log splitters have a hydraulic arm that, during use, slides under the handle used to move the machine. The moving hydraulic arm poses a laceration or amputation injury hazard to individuals who place their hands on that handle while the splitter is in operation.

Incident/Injuries: There have been two reports of injuries including a fingertip amputation of an 18-year-old man and one finger laceration injury of a 60-year-old man. Both individuals were injured after placing their hands on the handle while the splitter was in operation.

Description: The log splitters are silver and black, electric 5-ton models. The log splitter brand name, model and item number below is included in this recall.

Brand Name Mfg. Model No. Item Number
Task Force 26083 241483

The item number and model number is printed on the power switch label at the rear of the log splitter. "Task Force" is printed on the side rail of the log splitters.

Sold Exclusively at: Lowe's stores nationwide from January 2008 through March 2011 for about $300.

On a separate thread, users are explaining how to circumvent the safety devices that keep both hands out of harms way. Who needs a CPSC if owners are bound and determined to ignore safety devices?

mikefrommaine said:
freeburn said:
mikefrommaine said:
Fwiw I would never buy another piece of equipment without a honda engine. I have one Honda engine with over a thousand hours with no problems. Starts every time with a single half hearted pull. Can't say that about any other brand I own.
Which Honda motor do you have on yours? GC or GX? if GC do you notice the engine surging when at full throttle. I was told that that's just how they run.

I have a GX on my tiller and it doesn't do it, but the GC on my splitter does it when not under load. Then when under load smooths out. Not sure if that's how it's suppose to run or not.

freeburn said:
mikefrommaine said:
freeburn said:
mikefrommaine said:

I have a GX on my tiller and it doesn't do it, but the GC on my splitter does it when not under load. Then when under load smooths out. Not sure if that's how it's suppose to run or not.

They're not supposed to run that way but so many of them do. Thank newer EPA carburetors that run a 4-stroke as raggedly lean as possible. Cleaning both the idle and main jets in the carb may help. If it smooths out under load then the problem is most likely in the idle jet/circuit. Won't do any damage but I can't stand to listen to it run that way.

freeburn said:
I noticed that the 22 ton huskee is 999 at TSC as a regular price. I wonder if they saved a bit sending it overseas to be assembled??? Anyone have any information or can you direct me to information on the Ramsplitter? I picked up a used 16 ton ver/hor model with Honda 160GC (would have preferred GX, but it's Honda, and starts first pull every time) that was hardly used two years old. The only problem I'm having is that the hydraulic fluid wants to gush out of the cap? Maybe I need to be on more level ground!! Don't want to hijack this thread though. Maybe another one to consider, made in US. besides Iron and Oak.

If I am splitting on an angle where the cap is down hill I have had fluid gush out of the cap through the vent hole. I learned real quickly it needs to be fairly level lol

Llamaman said:
....should I return of try it first to see how it works?

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Changzhou Globe Tool Group Recalls Electric Log Splitters Due to Laceration or Amputation Hazard;

I think you answered your own question, no?

They're not supposed to run that way but so many of them do. Thank newer EPA carburetors that run a 4-stroke as raggedly lean as possible. Cleaning both the idle and main jets in the carb may help. If it smooths out under load then the problem is most likely in the idle jet/circuit. Won't do any damage but I can't stand to listen to it run that way.
I hear you, it just sounds terrible. Anyone have a link or file to the parts breakdown of that motor that includes a blowup of the carb? (Honda GC 160) This motor is so new, I just can't believe it runs like this. Thing is, if you back off the throttle a little or open the choke a little it smooths out too.

DanCorcoran said:
On a separate thread, users are explaining how to circumvent the safety devices that keep both hands out of harms way. Who needs a CPSC if owners are bound and determined to ignore safety devices?

I am a believer in safety devices, however I believe that removing personal awareness and responsibility from the process just encourages people to pay less attention to their own safety. Every time they make something "idiot proof", we find a bigger idiot. When safety devices increase operator fatigue or reduce comfort or efficiency, they invite tampering. I had to defeat the safety lockout on one of my electric chainsaws because it was so badly positioned that it became painful to operate. Interesting that they still haven't figured out how to put a guard on a chainsaw, quite possibly the most dangerous tool on the market.

Pretty sure my little Task Force splitter is not the model that was recalled - HOWEVER - early reviews are not good - just spent half hour and it died - time to read the manual for possible easy fix but I suspect this is a major POS!!!!

Anyone else have similar experience?

I'm sorry your new one isn't doing well. I have been very happy with our $300 ryobi. Even my hardheaded husband talks it up.

"... - time to read the manual..."

Presumably you also read the manual before operating it. Major causes of malfunction are failure to open the "breather" valve before splitting, failure to check fluid level before splitting, and using too small/long an extension cord. Ideal is 25-foot 10 gauge cord.

After examining pictures of the Task Force, it appears to be the same basic splitter as the Ryobi and others.

http://tinyurl.com/3r5bctg

The recall referred to a handle that was the hazardous area, but I don't see how that could be. One hand goes on the momentary contact power button located on the motor control box. The other hand actuates the hydraulic control lever at the end of the cylinder. My guess is that there were 2 people operating the splitter and someone grabbed the handle formed by the curved end of the tube which forms the log support. On the other models I have seen, the end handle is actually mounted on the piece of channel iron attached to the end of the ram and the 2 pull rods. That style handle moves with the ram so there is no pinch point.

As for the Task Force that failed after 1-1/2 hours, the bleeder screw was probably not opened fully

Craig

The concern I've had with the Pow'R'kraft and others with a similar design is not on the power stroke, because both hands must be on the controls. On the return stroke, however, both hands are free and there is a potential to inadvertantly place your hand in a pinch point. I don't know if this is the CPSC issue with the recall.

Status
Not open for further replies.