wood splitter question...

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
what if a log gets stuck on there and whops you in the head and takes your knee cap off?

Hi Guys,

I had to look up what you huys are talking about: Limbing? Bucking?

limbing is cutting the branches of the trunk. I can see that being dangerous, since the trunk can move if you cut the supporting limbs off. Plus the tree trunk is not between you and the chain.

Bucking is cutting the trunk is long sections. Is that correct? If so, who does that? If you are a pro, maybe, but certainly not a home user, right? I cut the trunk up in 18 inch sections. Works fine.

Any comments?

Carpniels

PS. Limbing makes me nervous too. Tine branches and too much power. I know why some guys have smaller saws for that reason, but I can only afford one saw so I bought a good and powerful one. Not the best for 2 inch branches.

I been meaning to get in touch with you,congrats on the Jotul. Too bad you never saw the advantages of a working combustor
in that Intrepid. As I experiment with mine I am learning how to get longer fruitfull burn times. Made it threw the night last night 17 degrees woke up this morning at 7:00 am 69 inside with enough coals to easilly fire the added splits.

Back to the post: The quickest way to limb, I use a sharp ax on all branches 2" and under. Most important advice is to get good footing, don't reach, and keep the work area clear. Another thing I do if the log is off the ground I put splits or blocks under them so when cut they are still off of the ground. Every situation and tree are different You have to look at it and plan your best approach.
On instance it might be best to start at the top and work back Reducing the weight and binding potential some situations might mean working top and bottom to the middle all depends on that situation. one learns from experience

The Black and Decker Alligator Lopper came today. Looks much less intimidating than the chainsaw did.
It's raining cats and dogs out here, so I have not tried it out yet.
1st dry day we get , and I'll give you my report. It looks like it's a good size to deal with the size splits I need to cut .
If this solves my problem, I'll be thrilled.
If it doesn't , I'll have a great tool I can use to safely cut down a good deal of the growth that's taking over parts of my lot .

The alligator lopper works GREAT!
I'm so relieved.
We had a beautiful , dry day today. It was even sunny, and not too cold.
So I split about a 16"x36"x8' pile of wood with my easy splitter, and then gave the Black&Decker lopper a run at bucking it all down to a size small enough to feed my little stove.

It made pretty quick work of the job. Very little kick back. I really like that it has jaws, and that the outer edge of the blade is covered.
Occasionally a log would rotate when the saw bites into it and there was a little torquing action, but if you have a good grip on the thing , it was no problem.

The best part was bringing my wood inside, loading up the stove front to back (which I couldn't do before) doing a modified log cabin stack to capacity , lighting a super cedar firestarter in the center(thanks Thomas!) , and presto! the easiest fire I've had since I got this stove. JUST GREAT!

Status
Not open for further replies.