Wood Splitter Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jmhpsu93

Nov 11, 2008
Baltimore, MD
Where do you folks store your big-a$$ wood splitters? I'm looking into getting an upgrade to my reliable-but-not-quite-up-to-the-challenge Ryobi splitter, but I have no outbuildings to put it. Can I just throw a tarp over it and call it a day? Thanks!

I keep mine in the heated shop for 3 years. Ran out of room now store it under a tarp seems to have held up just fine.

There is another thread about this very same thing. Our splitter is over 20 years old and we kept it outside until last winter when I finally got a place for storing it indoors. I always put a couple pieces of wood to set the tires on rather than just having them on the ground. Then I threw a tarp over it and used bungee cords to hold down the tarp. I would bungee from one axle to the other and that covered the motor. Then I would wrap a small bungee around the butt plate and another around the front. It had plenty of ground clearance so that air could get up to take care of any condensation. This seemed to work well and the only fixing I've ever done on this splitter was to fix the recoil rope just a little over a week ago. Not bad for a 20+ year old piece of machinery!

EDIT: Correction. I've also had to put some air into the tires. End of fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.