Wood Splitter ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

olafsenpn

Jan 25, 2010
NE Iowa
I am new to the hearth.com, but am enjoying it a great deal. Am building a home in the woods this spring and have taken down lots of trees for the house...with no outside help. Lots of hard maple, white and red oak, and some hickory. There is basswood mixed in also. Here are pics of one of the small piles of rounds and one of the stacks of splits. Giving the wife credit for the hauling and stacking keeps the help happy. We hope to get ahead a season or two with the wood supply. :cheese:

Attachments

• rounds.jpg
    rounds.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 533
  • splits.jpg
    splits.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 508
I thought you were going to say your wife was your wood splitter :) Good looking pile, looks like you won't have any trouble getting ahead for next year. Welcome to hearth.com, soon you will be here everyday like the rest of us.

Reminds me of when I built my home in '98. I cleared the land in March and poured the foundation in September. As soon as it was tight to the weather, I insulated and put up sheetrock on the wall behind the fireplace so that I could install it and start heating with wood while we worked on the rest of the house. The construction scraps helped with the less than ideal wood.

You have a nice head start on your firewood and it looks like you have some nice acreage with mature trees. I'm sure it will make a beautiful setting for your new home. Don't forget to post pics of the progress.

WOW. Your way ahead of most.
You do have some splitting to do by the pics.
What a stack of wood, nice to just look at isn't it.
Very good job by the "stacker". Keeps you & the wood straight.
Thought you had a splitter question but you seem to have it well in control.

Oh yea, Welcome.
Lots of info on this site. Fun too.

Nice chain & saw too. Husqvarna?
(notice that LLigetfa ?) LOL

Looks like you're miles ahead. It should be easy to stay ahead now.

Welcome to the forum olafsenpn. Now you have a nice looking woodpile and as soon as you get your home built you have wood to burn. Just beware that oak can take up to 3 years before it is ready to burn.

Good luck on the new house. Keep us posted by posting pictures if you can.

Is there a woodshed in the plans?

Nice wood piles. Good looking property. Good luck with the home building. Tell us more about what you're gonna build. Standard construction or something stone and log? Is the first picture the pile and the second picture after splitting? Looks like early fall and then early winter. I would imagine some snow on those rows now.

Awesome job! Nice to get ahead! Are your splits stacked directly on the ground? If so, might want put the rest of the splits on pallets, or some other base, a few inches off the ground - you won't lose the ground level wood to rot. Best of luck with the house and future burning! Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.