1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Wood Splitting Machine

Post in 'The Gear' started by GatorDL55, Jan 6, 2011.

1. GatorDL55

GatorDL55 Member

Loc:
    Broadview Hts, OH
    Vipukirves axe

This dude is a wood splitting machine. Although I'm not sure about the design. It looks like a sprained or broken wrist waiting to happen. You can scroll to around 3:25 and see a good shot of the axe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jDR_2Zsr40

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. NH_Wood

NH_Wood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    southern NH
    Looks like the easiest wood to split ever. But, he is sure going at it! Cheers!
  3. CSAW

CSAW New Member

Loc:
    Fl
  4. TreePointer

TreePointer Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Western PA
    I've seen that vid float around various forums. If I ever need to make "kindling" out of short, frozen birch rounds, maybe I'll consider it...nah.

I get enough kindling as a byproduct of my regular splitting sessions with an hydraulic splitter or Fiskers SSA.
  5. sbk12rs

sbk12rs Member

Loc:
    Smithfield , RI
    Well Gents , It is a clever idea just the same .

Two Alrights .. And A Atta'Boy

Alright .... Alright .... Atta'Boy !
  6. velvetfoot

velvetfoot Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Sand Lake, NY
    The entire setup is nice-is the stump on a turntable that rotates?
    Is that a racing tire?
  7. Extremebison

Extremebison New Member

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Looks like he's selling his wood, possibly at gas stations and so on. Great idea, looks like he's got a good system down.
  8. EatenByLimestone

EatenByLimestone Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Schenectady, NY
    There was one being passed around here when the inventor was trying to get his sales up. I bet a search would give the threads and their impressions of it.

Matt
  9. mtarbert

mtarbert Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maryland
    I have some 24inch Elm I would like to turn him loose on. I bet that jacket would come off before two rounds were split
  10. ROBERT F

ROBERT F Minister of Fire

Loc:
    CENTRAL COLORADO
    Seems to work alright for whatever toothpick burners they got over in them parts. A little light in the head for my tastes however.
  11. mayhem

mayhem Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Peru, MA
    I've got a few rounds left to split that I'd like to introduce this guy to. Saved em till last for a reason.
  12. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    He might be splitting for a cookstove.
  13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    I always like how they choose the easiest splitting wood for the videos and then folks think that is such a nice tool they go out to buy one. Get the thing home and they find they could do just as much with the old tool. I just depends upon the wood.

Can't take away the man's energy though. Oh to be young again..... I'll stick to the hydraulics.
  14. snowleopard

snowleopard Minister of Fire

He posted on the Leveraxe thread, said he's 71.
  15. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    My hat is off to the man!
  16. FINLAND

FINLAND Member

Loc:
    Finland
    Here is a better one http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E9_9wmjK3j8
    No problem to the wrists.* The tool is very simple to use. Use your VIPUKIRVESâ„¢ like a conventional axe, but
    when its blade strikes the wood, you should loosen your grip on the handle. Then the
    blade is able to perform its lever function unobstructed. It is important that you allow the
    handle of your VIPUKIRVESâ„¢ to turn as you hold on to it with both hands!
    More details here http://www.vipukirves.fi/english/users_guide.htm
  17. FINLAND

FINLAND Member

Loc:
    Finland
    We in Finland have different kind of heating systems. That is why the splits are smaller than you use to use.
    Here is one video where I show how to make bigger firewood. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XIZKNBnnNM
  18. FINLAND

FINLAND Member

Loc:
    Finland
    The best tire is low profile tire, because it is big inside and small outside. It is so wide that one tire is enough.
    Maybe the racing tire might be even better.
    Caution: If you use the tire with a conventional axe or maul, the handle is in danger, because the blade goes all the way through the block and so there will be a split under the handle sooner or later that can cause a broken handle or/and bad chock to your hands. The blade of the Leveraxe remains ON the block.
  19. FINLAND

FINLAND Member

Loc:
    Finland
    There have been some discussions about the ELM before. We do not have ELM enough in Finland for firewood purposes. Anyway I got so interested about this often mentioned wood that I purchased some blocks from a local park in Helsinki.
    There are several videos in my websites where I show how to split the ELM with the Leveraxe. It is rather hard wood, but it does not mean that it has resistance enough when you chop it with the Leveraxe. The wood is fibrous, but the Leveraxe spreads the wood up to eight centimetres (3,5 inch) nearly without the friction. That is why it is easier.
    Here is one of the videos how to do it. There are several more, you'll find them. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBdvv8wA6w
  20. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    That particular Elm in the video was nothing to write home about. There is some Elm that is so twisted that even a hydraulic splitter can't split cleanly. I don't expect any axe or maul to be able to split some of it. Some are just best noodled.
  21. FINLAND

FINLAND Member

Loc:
    Finland
    As I told, my experience is very limited about the ELM. One thing what I noticed that it generates at least ten times more ash than for instance BIRCH. That is why I would not bother to use ELM at all, because of the mentioned reasons. I would like to call it problem waist.
  22. amellefson

amellefson Member

Loc:
    Southern WI
    Very true. This is my first year burning and I had the "luxury" of splitting the elm I am currently using. VERY stringy. I had to bottom out the ram every single time. Also emptying the ash about twice a week if i'm lucky.