Wood Splitting

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JotulOwner

Feeling the Heat
Oct 29, 2007
Long Island, New York
I am in my second season of wood burning. Last season was a real learning curve. I had my stove installed in October and, yes, I bought "seasoned wood" from a local vendor. Needless to say, it was an interesting Winter.

Anyway, to be on topic, I bought a 5HP electric/hydraulic splitter which, after the second replacement (third unit) turns out to be a decent machine.

A machine like this obviously has limited capability. Some say to sharpen the wedge. Some say to spray the wedge with Pam cooking spray. I also tried something else which I thought I would share with the other owners of similar splitters.

With the larger/longer/tougher logs I made a shallow (a couple of inches deep) cut at one end of the log with my chain saw. You may want to make two cuts (+) before splitting. The combination of a sharpened edge on the wedge and the "head start" it gets when the sides of the wedge get into the groove the chainsaw makes in the log really creates an advantage. I can cut larger rounds with no problem.

Of course, I always recommend not to exceed the manufacturer's recommended log size limits, but I found that my machine often can't cut up to those limits without the extra advantage this method creates.

Opinions are welcomed!

Opinions are welcomed!
First a couple of questions. What is the name and size of your splitter as well as hp ? What is the max log size it is advertised to handle ? Thanks

Will

Here are the Specs:
Northern (Tool & Equipment) Industrial
Ram Force (Tons) 5
Operation Horizontal
Engine N/A
Motor 3,340 RPM 1,500 Watt
HP 2
Low Oil Shutdown N/A
Max. Log Size L x W (in.) 20 x 10
Cylinder 1 3/16in. x 15 3/4in.
Oil Reservoir (gal.) 0.77