Wood Stack Cover Recommendation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have profited enormously from many of the threads on this site, and thought I would pass on some information I came across in looking for a cover for our wood stack. We get a lot of snow, particularly drifting up here, and digging the wood out of it really necessitated a cover. Regular tarps don't last too long, and at this point, we don't want to build a more permanent cover. I then came across this site that sold used billboard tarps. These are heavy, 3 ply PVC tarps from discontinued billboard ads. The one we bought, 10' by 36' weighs about 30 pounds. Water proof, and UV protected, we are hoping this might last us a while, and there is the added bonus of using recycled materials. I will post an update next year after we see how it works this winter.

http://www.billboardtarps.com/

I just use scrap roofing tin. It's free and lasts forever. Pat

I am surprised they haven't been mentioned here in a few years. Quite a few people used to use them.

Sounds like a good deal. I have been using used rubber roofing which I was fortunate enough to get for free from a construction company. I cover the top of the pile with a 12" overhang. I screw in screw eyes low on in the pile into one of the splits every 5-6' and secure with a piece of rope. Works well. I think reusing the billboard material as a cover should work out awesome, good price too. Let us know how it holds up.

The billboard covers work great so long as you cover only the top of the wood pile. We had a couple fellows around here that bought some big ones then built big woodpiles and covered the entire thing. Two years later, one fellow opened it up and found lots of mold! Leave the sides and ends open!

BrotherBart said:
I am surprised they haven't been mentioned here in a few years. Quite a few people used to use them.
Really? I quick search for "billboard" brings up several recent hits.

I have EPDM roofing on one of my stacks. Unlike metal roofing, I don't have to worry that it will get airborne in a storm and decapitate someone. The EPDM is heavy enough that it doesn't go far. We get some nasty wind and I'd have to go retrieve my tarps and lawn furniture from the bush.

Status
Not open for further replies.