wood stack height

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

punchy

Burning Hunk
Jul 28, 2011
mid mo
what is the highest you stack splits? i am stacking on pallets and starting a long double row with a space in between. i had a couple t-posts left over from a garden, but they are 8' tall. ends up being about 6.5'. is that too tall for 16" splits? dont want it to lean and tip over.

Highest I go is just shy of 10'. 18" splits on asphalt and they are dry before they go in there.

All of my wood is on pallets and I stack the entire pallet square. I go 6' at the most. Typically between 5 and 6. I don't take out a ladder to stack wood.

4-4.5' is a good height unless you have a reason to go higher, like in a shed or if you just don't have the space. Re-stacking is no fun.

I'll stack until it looks to be leaning one way or another - usually 6-8 feet. Regardless, 1 out of 3 usually continue to lean/fall over within a week. But it is all about space.

SolarAndWood said:
Highest I go is just shy of 10'. 18" splits on asphalt and they are dry before they go in there.
+1 except mine are 20" and sit on concrete.

Ja, they need to be dry when stacked or the shrinkage will topple it.

100_0296.JPG

midwestcoast said:
4-4.5' is a good height unless you have a reason to go higher, like in a shed or if you just don't have the space. Re-stacking is no fun.

I agree with this, but I unfortunately I fall under the "just don't have the space" so I stack between 5-6 feet.

My outdoor stacks go two rows, about four feet tall on pallets.

Those are stacked green.

100_0342.JPG

4' to 5' is good for pallet stacks & I tie the 2 separated rows together with a long stick in a few places.
Sometimes the rows wobble & I don't want them falling over on anyone, the stick thru both rows helps.
If you have kids that might end up playing on or around them, 4' max.
In my shed, over 6' to 7', jammed to the roof, tie sticks & straps for stability.

Attachments

• 100_6566.jpg
    100_6566.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 1,507
  • 100_5119.jpg
    100_5119.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 1,157
LLigetfa said:
My outdoor stacks go two rows, about four feet tall on pallets.

Those are stacked green.

100_0342.JPG

I used pallets like that but use 2 x 4's to secure the standing pallets and raise the height to 6 feet.

bogydave said:
4' to 5' is good for pallet stacks & I tie the 2 separated rows together with a long stick in a few places.
Sometimes the rows wobble & I don't want them falling over on anyone, the stick thru both rows helps.
In my shed, over 6' to 7', jammed to the roof, tie sticks & straps for stability.

the stick to 'tie' the rows is a great idea.

punchy said:
bogydave said:

the stick to 'tie' the rows is a great idea.

Thanks
Another trick I use is a piece of strap or small rope for the ends.
About every 2-1/2 to 3' of height, lay the strap on top of the row a few feet in from the end, then stack on the strap. Then after after a couple more layers of splits, wrap the strap end up & around the end of the row back into the stack, keep stacking a few layers, then another one if you are going much higher, to hold the ends of the row in better.
Helps stacks make it thru mild earthquakes with out falling over. ;)
Pic may show better than I can explain:

Attachments

• 100_5220.jpg
    100_5220.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 1,143
LLigetfa said:

After my debacle stacking fresh splits last winter, I am never doing it again at any height. It can hang out in the heap for at least a year. I can heap higher than I can stack and it never falls over.

I'm a pallet stacker too and I go to 4.5-5'. At that height, a 40"x48" pallet is just at a 1/2 cord. Just make sure you get the pallets on level ground - if you plan to have to wood stacked for a couple or more years on the pallets, even a slight lean will start to move the stack, eventually toppling the bugger (unfortunately, I know this well). I leave enough space between pallets that I can just walk through them. Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_3206_copy.jpg
    IMG_3206_copy.jpg
    178.6 KB · Views: 941
NH_Wood said:
on level ground

lol, I've heard of that. The only ground I own that is even close I made and some of it has over 15' of fill under it.

NH_Wood said:
I'm a pallet stacker too and I go to 4.5-5'. At that height, a 40"x48" pallet is just at a 1/2 cord.

I do the same: 5' makes it a 1/2 cord and easy to keep track of the wood supply

LLigetfa said:
SolarAndWood said:
+1 except mine are 20" and sit on concrete.

100_0296.JPG

Awesome!

Outside in my seasoning stacks: 4 feet high . . . maybe a bit more to make sure I have a true cord.

Inside my woodshed: 6-7 feet high . . . I like as much seasoned wood to be under cover as I can get in there.

I stack 7.5' high in the shed (concrete floor), and about 5' high outside (stacked on landscape timbers). I'd go higher in the shed, but the ceiling gets in the way...reason I would like to go higher is because I can reach up to 8.5' without a stool or ladder. Haven't had a stack fall yet (knock on wood).

4 to 4.5 foot high outside max for me. I don't like doing jobs twice and the frost action around here plus wind and can cause topplage pretty easily.

Went higher w/ the holz hausen but that has a much sturdier base.

pen

I stack between trees and or between 6.5' T-posts. Seems like anytime I try to go over 5' tall between trees the tree movement and drying process lets about half fall over. So I keep green wood to about a 4' height. If a few fall over or off its no big deal. it burns just fine with a little dirt on it.

bogydave said:
& I tie the 2 separated rows together with a long stick in a few places...
Ja, if you look real close, you can just make out a long stick leaning against the far pallet that I use. Great minds think alike, eh!

On my woodshed pic, you can make out long sticks at about the 4 foot height. Those don't tie two rows together but they keep the crib ends from blowing out.

my goodness those are some great looking stacks of wood guys, sitting in my office at work and saying dammmmmnnnnn over and over as I look at the awesome stacks

I go between 4.5' and 5' on pallets stacked three rows deep. I have not had a collapse yet and the wood seems to season just fine this way. One year for Ash, Cherry, Locust. The Red oak will have three years this way.

DSC06785.jpg

DSC06786.jpg

This is one of the short ones. I have a nearly 40' long and 30' long one too.

Status
Not open for further replies.