Wood Stacked in the Sun or in a Shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smed

Sep 18, 2011
Ontario Canada
I just picked up a small supply from a wood seller. He had the same supply separated with some in a covered shed, and some in the open. The pile in the open looked to be in a dryer state the shed pile. There was checking in the sides of the outside pile, but not in the shed. I am wondering if the drying rate in this case is tied to the weather (there has been little rain for months here). One problem was the wood in the shed was flat on the ground, which seemed damp.

Anyone with similar findings? :)

Unless you live in a region that gets considerable rain, my vote is for wood dried in the open off the ground and stacked. I had some small pieces of wood (1-2" diameter) stored in a 3 sided carport for three years and when I finally burned it, I still had moisture escaping out the ends.
In my region of moderate rainfall, I stack in single rows where the sun and wind are not restricked. I don't put a cover on the top of my stacks and the day after a hard rain the stack is dry again. Of course, I dry my wood for at least one year but if it was in a shed I think I would have to double my dry time. My .02 worth.

Smed, I believe a sticky was just added recently with regards to wood drying. The topic has come up and talked about so often I believe they added one.

What Oslo said. You don't have to read back more than a day or two to find threads that will answer all your questions. By the time you read back a month or so, you'll be a pro.

But an answer for you in a few words: Outside good. Inside bad. Your senses are telling you true as to the clues you've observed.

Status
Not open for further replies.