Wood Stacking Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dustin

Minister of Fire
Sep 3, 2008
Western Oregon
Just bought a cord of wood. It's seasoned, but SOAKING wet from the nice Oregon rain. It's not punky, just wet.

Anyway, i'm going to stack all of this in the garage. If I stack it all normal like, will the rain water dry off? Or is there a better way

Better put a fan on it, or it will never dry out in your garage. I would have never believed it had I not tried it.
And my garage is not airtight, by any stretch of the imagination. MAYBE in the summer, NOT in the winter.

That being said, if it's your only option, stack it and bring a couple days worth of wood in and stack it by the stove.
This will dry it out quick and your wood will be useable.

D/F said:
Just bought a cord of wood. It's seasoned, but SOAKING wet from the nice Oregon rain. It's not punky, just wet.

Anyway, i'm going to stack all of this in the garage. If I stack it all normal like, will the rain water dry off? Or is there a better way

The best way would be outside in the sun and wind, with just the top covered if its raining alot.

I say stack it outside, and cover the top. My stacks are all outside, and I've resorted to just covering the tops only, with cutoffs from plywood and such. The stuff gets wet on the sides when it rains/snows, but dries in a day or so. I keep dry stuff under the porch roof, usually 2 weeks supply.

well, the splits I brought in last night at about 11 pm that were soaked, are bone dry this morning, and I didn't have a fire going all night. That's a good sign at least.

If I stack it, will it rot? Is there any better way to stack? to help it dry faster?

Try criss cross the stacking.... north to south, then east to west.

That Oregon rain can be overwhelming !

Status
Not open for further replies.