1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood Stacking Question

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Dustin, Dec 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dustin

Dustin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Oregon
    Just bought a cord of wood. It's seasoned, but SOAKING wet from the nice Oregon rain. It's not punky, just wet.

Anyway, i'm going to stack all of this in the garage. If I stack it all normal like, will the rain water dry off? Or is there a better way

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. mattinpa

mattinpa New Member

Loc:
    Western Pa
    Better put a fan on it, or it will never dry out in your garage. I would have never believed it had I not tried it.
    And my garage is not airtight, by any stretch of the imagination. MAYBE in the summer, NOT in the winter.

That being said, if it's your only option, stack it and bring a couple days worth of wood in and stack it by the stove.
    This will dry it out quick and your wood will be useable.
  3. CowboyAndy

CowboyAndy New Member

Loc:
    Chateaugay, NY
    The best way would be outside in the sun and wind, with just the top covered if its raining alot.
  4. ansehnlich1

ansehnlich1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adams County, PA
    I say stack it outside, and cover the top. My stacks are all outside, and I've resorted to just covering the tops only, with cutoffs from plywood and such. The stuff gets wet on the sides when it rains/snows, but dries in a day or so. I keep dry stuff under the porch roof, usually 2 weeks supply.
  5. Dustin

Dustin Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Western Oregon
    well, the splits I brought in last night at about 11 pm that were soaked, are bone dry this morning, and I didn't have a fire going all night. That's a good sign at least.

If I stack it, will it rot? Is there any better way to stack? to help it dry faster?
  6. Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle

Doing The Dixie Eyed Hustle Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Ridge, LI, NY
    Try criss cross the stacking.... north to south, then east to west.

That Oregon rain can be overwhelming !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.