Wood stand selling location

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

E.Merckx

Nov 11, 2019
New England
I've been selling face cords but the amount I can get for bundles is attractive so have been wanting to put up a stand for a while. Problem is that I don't have much room between the road and my house so any stand I put up would be just maybe 20ft or less from my house. That is a bit close and my dogs would be going nuts when people stop.

Has anyone put up a roadside stand somewhere else? Near a campground, on State land, etc.? How do you go about putting up a stand on property that isn't yours? I am not talkng about selling wholesale to places. Only looking for strategies on placement. Thanks.

I've been selling face cords but the amount I can get for bundles is attractive so have been wanting to put up a stand for a while. Problem is that I don't have much room between the road and my house so any stand I put up would be just maybe 20ft or less from my house. That is a bit close and my dogs would be going nuts when people stop.

Has anyone put up a roadside stand somewhere else? Near a campground, on State land, etc.? How do you go about putting up a stand on property that isn't yours? I am not talkng about selling wholesale to places. Only looking for strategies on placement. Thanks.
You have to ask the owners. You will likely not be able to on government property though unless you get lucky and find a state park that is looking for a wood supplier. There is a state park camp ground that entered into an agreement with a local to provide firewood on the honor system AND if it came up short he billed them. Which in itself is another honor system. I loved it when I camped there. I was fairly damn honest unless I literally had no cash at the time but would make up for it on the next trip.

No adays......ha! Everyone is out for themselves and could care less about the hard work of others, I know that sounds grumpy but it is true. (refer to my handle grumpydad). There are many people around me that sell firewood at the end of their driveway, or bait etc - and VERY rarely do these people ever say anything but "those sons of bitches took half my wood and never gave me a dime". There is one place that people go because it's cheap, however as soon as you pull in the owner is on you. So he gets his money.

But even if you find someone to let you use their property, they are going to want a big cut to deal with the vehicle/foot traffic. I would want a big cut too, and it likely wont be worth it to them as they have insurance costs etc. If someone slips on snow on their property and busts open their head, that's on them not you. You are just the supplier at that point, the insurance company will deem the property owner the seller pure and simple.

Most of the guys that do it around here have the stand at the end of their driveway etc.
There is one guy that has it on the corner of a well traveled road. I don’t know if he has a camera up or what, but it looks to be an honor system setup. Also I’m not sure if he owns the land or has an agreement with someone.
I agree with the points that grumpy dad made.

We have a lot of seasonal tourists here because of the salmon fishing etc. I’ve thought about selling bundles as well.

Unless it's kiln dried just becareful setting up somewhere not on your property. Certain places can get you in trouble about transporting wood etc. Cause the elm disease and ash borer beetle. It none my business I'm not judging or saying what to do but just to say becareful so ya don't get hemmed up by Johnny law. Lol good luck. I've been wanting to do that to myself here in NC. I pay $8 a bundle myself when going up blue ridge camping for the night n run out. There's definitely a profit n money to be made

Unless it's kiln dried just becareful setting up somewhere not on your property. Certain places can get you in trouble about transporting wood etc. Cause the elm disease and ash borer beetle. It none my business I'm not judging or saying what to do but just to say becareful so ya don't get hemmed up by Johnny law. Lol good luck. I've been wanting to do that to myself here in NC. I pay $8 a bundle myself when going up blue ridge camping for the night n run out. There's definitely a profit n money to be made
Eab ripped through my area. Took a drive through a forest road and realized most of the trees were ash. What a bad decision they made in this area. I lost over half my ash trees

Climate change and drought have wreaked havoc in forests all across the country. In the Rockies and Sierras the drought stressed trees get finished off by bark beetles. With warmer winters the beetles are not killed off by cold as much as they used to be, so they are expanding their range. Forests I worked in the '80s which had very few dead trees have lots of dead trees now.

Here in the coast range we have Sudden Oak Death, caused by a mold. It's gone wild for 20+ years, killing a lot of tan oaks and live oaks. A lot of my firewood comes from SODS killed trees.

When I was giving wood away I did not give away species known to get SODS, so I would not be spreading it.

Climate change and drought have wreaked havoc in forests all across the country. In the Rockies and Sierras the drought stressed trees get finished off by bark beetles. With warmer winters the beetles are not killed off by cold as much as they used to be, so they are expanding their range. Forests I worked in the '80s which had very few dead trees have lots of dead trees now.

Here in the coast range we have Sudden Oak Death, caused by a mold. It's gone wild for 20+ years, killing a lot of tan oaks and live oaks. A lot of my firewood comes from SODS killed trees.

When I was giving wood away I did not give away species known to get SODS, so I would not be spreading it.
It's a fungus among us

Reactions: Takenname_7