Wood storage for seasoning greener wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rgsccr

Aug 29, 2008
Seattle
Hi,
As we complete our first burning season, we are ready to buy a cord or more of wood that needs seasoning (up to this point we have purchased only ready to burn wood). I have room in my garage to store it but I am wondering if this will slow down the drying process. I should point out that my garage is always open - doors, even a broken window - so there is plenty of air flow. Of course,
there would be no sun. What do you think? Thanks. Rich

Wood will season better outside in the sun and wind. I age mine two years and then bring it in the barn to keep it dry. Hardwood and long or big pieces of wood take longer to age, than soft wood, smaller splits, and shorter splits. Make a wood rack and store it outside and dry and then bring in.

There may be airflow but assuming you will be stacking near a wall, probably not much. It will dry but it may take longer than you want.

+1 or 2

To answer your question, yes, it will slow down the drying process. To the point that even our softwoods won't be reasy for this coming fall. Must you use a garage or do you have some outdoor space available?

Yup. That garage might get a good amount of air but nowhere near the flow you would get outdoors. Better to stack it in a single row outdoors and don't take into the garage until late fall or early winter. Leave it out as long as you can.

Status
Not open for further replies.