wood storage ideas

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
Hi Everyone,

I need some ideas for both indoor and outdoor wood storage/drying. Indoors, I have a 4' wide by 8' tall wall space to work with. Outdoors, I have a covered volume that is approximately 8'x8'x8', but I need a 2' wide path to walk thru, so effectively I have 2, 3'x8'x8' volumes.

I don't care what the outdoor storage looks like as long as it won't collapse or tip over - I basically just want the least expensive, safe option. Indoors I want things to look nicer next to my black stove (in a colonial design house), but of course still be safe. I might just end up storing nothing but kindling (probably split 2x scrap framing lumber) indoors.

What else do you need to know?

Some pictures would be good.

Yeah I would need to see a pic of what you have outdoors. Indoors though I would caution against putting too much wood there, mostly due to bugs but also dirt etc. Make sure it's not too close to the stove. I keep about a week's worth of wood in the house by the stove and I don't start stacking at all inside until the weather turns cold.

Yeah I would need to see a pic of what you have outdoors. Indoors though I would caution against putting too much wood there, mostly due to bugs but also dirt etc. Make sure it's not too close to the stove. I keep about a week's worth of wood in the house by the stove and I don't start stacking at all inside until the weather turns cold.

I don't understand why a picture would help. Can't y'all just visualize the areas and volumes I've described?

The 4' x 8' wall indoors would be about the same as a week's worth of wood for me, and I also would not fill the area until it gets cold. I'm definitely leaving the proper clearance from the stove.

So your going to build a couple wood racks?

From your initial post, it sounded like you had a covered area already set up ... that's why the ask for pictures. Some folks stack single rows, some multiples; some have sheds, some don't. Some stack along a fence line; some stack against a garage wall; some on a rack in the yard...

Photo would give a good idea of the space you intend and what would be most appropriate.

From your initial post, it sounded like you had a covered area already set up ... that's why the ask for pictures. Some folks stack single rows, some multiples; some have sheds, some don't. Some stack along a fence line; some stack against a garage wall; some on a rack in the yard...

Photo would give a good idea of the space you intend and what would be most appropriate.

Yes, I do have a covered area set up. There is room for a double row, which is why I said I would double the depth of the drawing I linked to. There is no fence or wall I can stack against.

What do y'all think about this: http://www.instructables.com/id/No-tools-firewood-rack/ ? If I go 8' tall, would the tension in the block cores be too great? Or would there be too much of a tipping hazard?

Just get some pallets and some 2 xs and build a rack. I don't like to stack more than single deep stacks because I don't have allot of room and need to get wood dry fast. And stacked single deep I wont go over 5 to 5.5 feet high. So basically if you are going to fill an area that is 8'x8'x8' it will not dry fast at all so it better be pretty dry before you stack it there. The concrete block thing would work ok but not 8' tall

Now why not post some pics so we can have a better understanding of the situation and give you better advice

lay them down as a floor use them as ends wit h2x4 tangled to reinforce them ect ect ect. There are hundreds of different ways to do it you need to figure out what will work in your situation with your materials and your weather conditions.

I have seen some photos of members using the cinder block method but IIRC they have run wire between the ends to stabilize. Depends on the levelness of the ground you are building on. This one is on asphalt driveway
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/just-purchased-my-first-saw.142520/page-3#post-1922802 gpsfool entry.
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/diy-wood-rack.129017/#post-1737862
https://www.hearth.com/talk/threads/my-zero-tool-built-firewood-rack.114910/#post-1535902

Edit: Your covered area ... fixed roof with support posts? Posts could be part of your support structure...
That's why the ask for pictures - "covered area" can mean many things.

Last edited:
If it is at least 8' wide you can do the cinderblocks and landscape timbers. I got them on sale like someone above mentioned for 1.99 each - put two of them on 3 evenly spaced cinder blocks with some 2x4 or even 2x2 pieces standing on the ends and it holds a lot of wood. I also like that it is easy to move (not permanent).

Status
Not open for further replies.