WOOD STORAGE RACK

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fishing

Jul 26, 2007
THE WIFE DOESNT WANT ME TO STORE WOOD IN THE HOUSE. SO I'M LOOKING TO BUILD A STORAGE RACK BY THE BACK DOOR. THAT WAY ONCE A WEEK I CAN STOCK THE RACK FROM THE WOOD PILE. I'VE THOUGHT ABOUT BUILDING ONE OUT OF SOME 1" PIPE I HAVE BUT THEN I THOUGHT I HAD BETTER ASK THE EXPERTS. SHOULD I BUILD A STORAGE BOX RATHER A RACK, THAT WAY IT WILL KEEP DRY. ANY INPUT FROM THE EXPERIENCED ONES.

FISHING ( MAYBE SOON)

I have a stout box on the porch. It holds about 4-7 days worth of wood, depending on the temps. (mild climate here) Works well because I can fill it quickly, just dump the wood into it. In the summer you can slap a lid on it and cover it with a nice print for an instant table.

ThePhotoHound said:
BeGreen -

For all of the Newbie's (like myself), what's a stout box?

I'm guess sturdy/decent-sized.

I had a partial sheet of 5/4 plywood left over that I used to make the box front and back, so it is very sturdy. This is probably overkill, 3/4" plywood would be fine, but I had the material on hand already. It's screwed & glued together and will take whatever I throw at it. The dimensions are 40"L x 28"W x 22"D. No magic to the size, it was just the maximum yield I could get out of the pieces of wood I had on hand.

ThePhotoHound said:
BeGreen -

For all of the Newbie's (like myself), what's a stout box?

Its where you store your beer :cheese:

Glad I could help.

I made 2 potting benches for my wife 18" deep 28" high and about 4 feet long. In the winter i Put one upside down on top of the other and use it to store wood. Hold about a 1/4 cord. Dual purpose. All 2x4 construction and the top is 2x4's space about 2" abort each. Works well. I'll snap a picture for ya when I get home.

i made a wood rack for the garage out of 2X5 channel scraps we cut off to make exhaust chambers for our pellet stoves, welded them into brackets and used stud boards to fashion the rack holds about 2 weeks worth of wood , stacked 5 ft high in a 6 ft long by 2 ft space. i'd photo it , but camera batteries dead , taking pictures of our new plant all day

Status
Not open for further replies.