1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Wood storage tank, w/pics

Post in 'The Boiler Room - Wood Boilers and Furnaces' started by Jackpine Savage, Jan 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Loc:
    west central MN
    I then added two layers of polyiso and glued on the epdm liner. I also added weather stripping on the bottom edge of the hinged side of the lid.

Attached Files:

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Loc:
    west central MN
    I taped all the seams of the polyiso inside the tank with foil tape. When the liner starts leaking hopefully that will contain some of the mess. The second pic is the foam weather stripping all around the top of the tank.

Attached Files:

3. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Loc:
    west central MN
    Here is the liner in place. I laid the liner out on the floor and prefolded it which worked pretty well. The last pic is the back ledger portion of the lid. Also in the second picture is the two stainless steel 'thwarts' that I lag bolted across the top.

Attached Files:

4. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Loc:
    west central MN
    The lid is held down with turn buckles. I wanted to be able to access the inside of the tank and also be able to take it apart without being destructive. I am hoping the foam weatherstripping, the give in the polyiso, and the pressure applied with the turnbuckles will give me a good seal.

Attached Files:

5. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Loc:
    west central MN
    I'm calling it done. On the next pics it will be full of water or a broken mess :) .

Attached Files:

6. EricV

EricV Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Saranac, NY
    I was going to post some pics of my tank but not now, what a great looking tank. Good luck with it.
  7. sdrobertson

sdrobertson Minister of Fire

Loc:
    West Michigan
    Very nice, good luck on the fill as it looks like its going to work well.
  8. sparke

sparke Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Maine
    EricV please post your pics. I would like to see every ones ideas regardless of the complexity...

Awesome work Jack Pine! I agree it should work very well.
  9. Jackpine Savage

Jackpine Savage Member

Loc:
    west central MN
    Thanks guys. I hope you will post your pics Eric, I know I looked at every one I could find before I started on this project.

It would be great if we could have a sticky with links to all the threads and individual's websites of storage tanks and installations. I know I've spent many an hour doing searches, and I still run across ones that I missed.
  10. pybyr

pybyr Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Adamant, VT 05640
    We're all sitting on the edge of our seats, wishing you well for the fill, Jackpine- keep us all posted !
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.