wood storage trailer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

leaddog

Minister of Fire
Sep 24, 2007
Hesperia, Michigan
Here is the way I store and dry some of my wood. It is a mobile home trailer frame cut down to 25ft long with the frame doubled up for the sides. I welded in slats in the bottem so it gets air flow and stays dry. I load it up and then take it out back in a sunny, windy spot and when I'm ready for it I haul it back to my shed and unload and stack it inside. It holds about 4 cord. I've got about $150 in it.
leaddog

Attachments

• mar15-10 021.jpg
    mar15-10 021.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 450
  • mar15-10 022.jpg
    mar15-10 022.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 436
That's sweet; the rolling heapenhausen.

Looks like a good plan..

This wood is for 2012. I've got 2011 stacked and some in crates. I've been working on getting ahead as my gasifier needs dry wood.
leaddog

nice idea and sure saves some stacking and moving . Maybe you could find one or two more and make a train :)

Pretty sweet idea....what do you haul that monster rolling heap hausen with?

Must be upwards of 15k lbs when loaded.

ilikewood said:
Pretty sweet idea....what do you haul that monster rolling heap hausen with?

I have a 4x4 Century 40hp tractor and loaded it does take some power if I have to go up hill. I also have an other trailer simular that holds about 1 1/2 cord that we load and haul to my sons. I like these as I can just throw the wood on from the splitter and let it dry with out haveing to stack. It's a pain welding in all the slats for the bottem but I've got lots of time so it works well for me.
The other thing I put wood in is some wire crates that are about 4x4x4. I just take them out where I cut and load them up and haul them back with my forks. I use them for the stuff I don't have to split. A few years ago they were cheap and easy to find but now they are getting expensive and hard to find.
leaddog

Leaddog, I would do the same techniques if I had the resources you have. That is definetely the way to go. Put some aluminum foil on top of that trailer, out in the fields in the summer, make a dutch oven holtzhousen

Trailer looks to be a great idea. If a fellow had 2 and put a roof on he would be really set up.

Awesome idea! Toss it on and park it anywhere you want that gets good exposure, go turn it around every so often to maximize the exposure and drive it right up to your house when you need to move some insode for burning. Definitely a great idea.

Hmmmmm? Do you move the trailer around to make sure each side of the pile of wood gets the same amount of sunshine?

I have often thought that if one had enough trailer space storing the wood on wheels would be the cat's meow. An enclosed trailer with roll up sides like a coke or pepsi trailer would be incredible if one had the truck or tractor to move it around.

I know I know.... K.I.S.S and just c/s/s and let nature do the drying. With that in mind it sure was nice to come home this evening to both wood boxes full as my boys had grabbed the wheelbarrow and got at it with only the lightest of suggestion from their mother.

lowroadacres said:
Hmmmmm? Do you move the trailer around to make sure each side of the pile of wood gets the same amount of sunshine?

I have often thought that if one had enough trailer space storing the wood on wheels would be the cat's meow. An enclosed trailer with roll up sides like a coke or pepsi trailer would be incredible if one had the truck or tractor to move it around.

I know I know.... K.I.S.S and just c/s/s and let nature do the drying. With that in mind it sure was nice to come home this evening to both wood boxes full as my boys had grabbed the wheelbarrow and got at it with only the lightest of suggestion from their mother.
I'm just going to just pull it out into the field on a knoll and face the back to the west so it will get the most sun and wind and so it is out of sight.
I do have an old pop trailer made from a pop delivery truck but I use it to store my yard sale stuff. I't all aluminum and I bought it to scrap out but once I got to looking at it I saw how nice it was with all the compartments in it. It is a heavy beast though.
My neighbor has a box off a delivery truck and he stores his wood in that. He fills it when the wood is dry and it keeps it that way. That makes a nice looking and neat way to store dry wood.
I just bought a 30ft refer box to put my skidsteer in. It's stainless outside, aluminum inside, with 3in foam. It has a roll up door and a side door. I'm putting a small work shop in the front and can store the skidsteer in the back. I have a heater coil to run from the boiler to heat it. It should make starting that 115hp jd engine easier in the winter. I also gave serious thought to putting a BIG coil in it with ventalation fans and kiln drying some wood. But I'm getting far enough ahead with my wood supply that I think I'll just let the sun do it's job.
Those old truck boxes, refers, shipping containers, etc make real good wood sheds. they can be had quite cheap and if they need to be painted you can pick up cheap paint at auctions, yard sales etc. They can also be sided to match your house. A person could adapt them with a old funace fan and alittle duct work to air dry wet wood so you could put the wood in wet and still dry it. It would save one less handleing.
leaddog

If I could convince my wife that she should have a truck body on blocks on our small acreage I would stack wood that way. For now we will be sticking with simple wood stacks in several places on the yard.

We are working to creatively work the stacks into the landscaping, to keep the wood close enough to the house that we can access it easily, have it exposed to wind /sun, and to make certain that it does not become a rodent home.

Status
Not open for further replies.