Wood Storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sixman

Feeling the Heat
Apr 12, 2010
Central Texas
First year burner and I see that I need to build some sort of place to store the 2-3 years worth of wood that I have cut. Right now I just have it stacked in the back yard on the ground and when I get to the bottom of a stack it is wet and covered in dirt. I could put it on pallets but that is just a place for critters to dig, thought about pouring a slab or maybe some road base and then close it in on three sides. How about some pics of your wood storage for some ideas for us new guys.

Pallets are free around here. I made my first wood storage manger out of pallets and a heavy vinyl tarp overhead.
Make sure you not only cut but split any larger rounds as they won't dry as fast as split ones.

Look in Wood Shed theirs a post going on now called wood rack or storage design or something like that central Texas where?

Near Comanche, I really just like seeing the picutures.

sixman said:
Near Comanche, I really just like seeing the picutures.

https://www.hearth.com/gallery/pics/misc/

All the pictures you could want.

I'm seasoning on pallets this year. I'm taking to heart the advice to season in a single row so I cut the pallets in half which is perfect for a single row of 18" splits. Going to work this summer on a wood shed for next winter.

I use a Airline baggage cart for the immediate use wood. They are low the ground so you can reach in and grab every piece of a whole cord. Many have curtains that can be pulled across on both sides. Rest is in big throwed on pile out back in the open.

sixman said:
First year burner and I see that I need to build some sort of place to store the 2-3 years worth of wood that I have cut. Right now I just have it stacked in the back yard on the ground and when I get to the bottom of a stack it is wet and covered in dirt. I could put it on pallets but that is just a place for critters to dig, thought about pouring a slab or maybe some road base and then close it in on three sides. How about some pics of your wood storage for some ideas for us new guys.

Here is one idea. If I needed the wood to dry faster I would have stacked in single rows but we have lots of time for it to dry and it does just fine. Notice in one picture the wood is covered with old galvanized roofing and the other is not. We usually leave the wood uncovered through the first summer and fall then cover it just before the snow flies.

We use some poles that I cut in the woods for stacking the wood on. This keeps it up off the ground and allows air circulation under the wood. This method has worked for us for many, many moons.

Woodfrom2009.jpg

Wood-2010f.jpg

Before moving the wood to the shed I season my wood on pallets -- they're free, easy to throw down, you can use them to build holz mietes or standard rows and they last a long time (and when they get all beat up you can smash them up for kindling or for use on the camp fire) . . . as for critters . . . not too much of an issue . . . then again I have four cats which might explain why they enjoy playing near the stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.