Wood stored in Garage - Insurance?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KB007

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Oct 21, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I have a neighbour who likes to move his wood into his attached garage in the fall (by the time he moves it it's seasoned 1-2 yrs). He does this mainly so he can run out into the garage to get wood, rather than actually go outside.

Anyone know of any insurance issues with this?

TIA

None I can think of.
Few folks here do similar storage attached to the house.
(Attached wood shed ) ;)

I doubt it but for sure there are some drying issues. Much better to stack it outdoor at least for the first year before moving it into the garage. There is also the possibilities of insect problems.

I'd worry of the fire hazard, but I actually USE my garage. Welding, grinder, etc.

I keep 1 cord in my garage, for days
when its 10 and droping, wind at 20mi and rising.
My barn is across the road full of hay and wood.
PS My wifes car is more of a fire hazard.

Reactions: Realstone
I'd worry of the fire hazard, but I actually USE my garage. Welding, grinder, etc.

We use our garage also.We park our cars there. For the torches and grinders and sparkey things they are in my pole barn. And we keep our ready to use wood in our farm-storage barn that is just 50 ft from the house where we bring would to the basement egress window so we don't have to take it thru the house.

Don't have enough room (or $$) to have a separate buildings to park in and to work in. Would love to have a few thousand sq ft workshop and just use the garage for parking. :)

We use our garage also.We park our cars there. For the torches and grinders and sparkey things they are in my pole barn. And we keep our ready to use wood in our farm-storage barn that is just 50 ft from the house where we bring would to the basement egress window so we don't have to take it thru the house.

Status
Not open for further replies.