wood stove advice

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
Looking to buy a used stove for my finished basement which is a 1000sq ft open area and then hope that some of the heat makes its way up the steps to our first floor living area through the use of fans, etc. I found this Vermont Castings Defiant on CL and was wondering what everyone thinks. This ill be my first wood stove and my house is 2500 sq ft total. Check out the link and any advice would be greatly appreciated. http://baltimore.craigslist.org/app/2163258040.html
thanks
Frank

Frank: Buy used if you want to, but if the guy couldn't even figure out how to post a picture in viewing condition, I'd suspect the condition of the stove!

Basement? Why? Do you and most of your family spend most of your time in the basement? It is recommended by many (including me), and you place your wood stove on the level that gets the most traffic. There are other solutions to keeping the "basement" warm.

The stove itself, if not burned out or damaged, would be fine. Consider seriously having someone who (if not you) knows how to do a safe and proper install, do the work. Get it Inspected before using it.

-Soupy1957

It sounds like this may be a Defiant Encore. If it is, it would be a nice stove to have burning in the finished basement when your using it. Nice big view as the ad mentioned. Before you proceed any further, contact the seller and ask them for the model number of the stove. If it is a regular defiant, inspect the fireback for cracks and warps, If it is a defiant encore, check the fireback PLUS the catalyst. Keep in mind that both these stove work best on an 8" flue. So if you dont have a chimney already, that could be an added expense.

As Soupy mentioned, if your purpose is to heat the whole house without the basement, you may be better off putting the stove in the area you spend the most time in.

If you want to have heat and ambiance in your finished basement and whatever heat goes upstairs is fine, then go for it.

Get all your ducks in a row, stove model, plans, wants, needs and make a post in the wood stove part of the forums and folks will jump on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.