Wood Stove and heated bench storage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Extremebison

Dec 27, 2010
Yukon Canada
Sorry should have put this in the Hearth Room didn't realize when I posted it went into the Green Room.

Wonder what the draft is like? Also how the heck to you clean that?!?!

I also HATE a 'video clip' of a slide show.

My wife, "Honey..........I think the stove would look better over by the window".

Me - Face meet palm.

Nice idea. I'm guessing the idea is you burn it hot enough where you don't need to clean that section of pipe. Though, I'm wondering if you can safely burn a conventional stove hot enough to heat up the mass in the same fashion as a true masonry heater.

I've seen others done a bit differently, but same idea. I'd love to say it's a great idea, but as I see it a modern stove would make a poor firebox for a DIY masonry heater. Masonry heaters as we know burn hot, fast & clean and dump the heat genereated into their masonry mass for slow release. They use intense heat to avoid creasote build-up in the smoke channels. An EPA woodstove restricts the air to the firebox and uses an insulative firebox plus pre-heated 2ndanry combustion air or a CAT to burn the smoke while giving much longer burn times than a masonry heater. So with the stove as the fireboxe there'd be much less volume of exhaust gases going through any smoke channels and the exhaust could be cooled much more by the masonry. I would expect some creosote in the smoke channel with that setup and as others, wonder how to clean it out. Maybe those chemical creo sweeper sticks could keep it cleaned out?

Status
Not open for further replies.